Sway Bars

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
I am well-acquainted with the magic that sway bars work. Once Upon a Time, I had a '60 Bel Air that was a 6-cylinder car; i.e. NO FRONT SWAY BAR. I added both front and rear bars, 15x7 wheels, and new shocks when the 235 and PG were replaced with a 283 and TH350.

WOW. Whole new ball game.

Now, I have a '61 Bel Air that came with a V-8, so it has a front sway bar.
The question: do aftermarket front sway bars offer any improvement over the bars that came stock on the V-8 cars?

Thanks
SoT

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thickness of the bar makes a big difference, bigger bar equals less roll when cornering. Surely someone on this site specializes in this subject, Global West in San Bernardino is perfecting 58 thru 64 big Chevy aftermarket front and rear suspension now. They asked me to drive my car over for measurements, they needed to know about clearance of factory sheetmetal as their frame only suspension mockup was completed about a month ago. They weren't impressed with the aftermarket rear sway bar on my ride, mickey mouse brackets is what they were reffering to.

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
They weren't impressed with the aftermarket rear sway bar on my ride, mickey mouse brackets is what they were reffering to.

That bodes well for the improvement margin on any new prodcuct they design. However, the one I added 19 years ago worked WONDERS. Of course, there was nothing there to start with.

What is the thickness of the stock front bar? I don't happen to be under my car at the moment . . . .

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
SOT,
The stock front sway bar is 11/16" and does'nt provide very much stability. Take a look at this one on Ebay (#150132155950). It is 1" diameter and he says it will bolt up in the stock location.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes I believe my upgraded front bar on the 64 Impala was a one inch version and worked wonders, I added the one inch rear at the same time and was impressed with the results, but do admit that the aftermarket rear sway bar bracketry could be improved. I just wanted a quick fix with something simple that bolted on and got it. Looking for a 1 and a quarter inch or thicker front sway bar for a mid 70's Chevelle/Monte Carlo if anyone knows where to locate one, inch and an eighth made a big difference, now would like to try a bigger one.

bobs409

Administrator
Just out of curiosity, didn't '63 cars have a sway bar when it had a 6 cylinder and none with a small block? :dunno My 63 is originally a 6 cylinder car and it has a sway bar. We're 61's opposite? Sounds like the 6's didn't have them and the 8's did? :scratch

Bob

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
Sounds like the 6's didn't have them and the 8's did? :scratch

Bob
That is my understanding, but I base this solely upon the absence of a sway bar on my '60 w/ a 235. And, I suppose someone said something about that being the 'policy' while I was upgrading the car, but this all happened in 1988 - nearly 20 years ago, I realize with fright. Anyway, I had to replace the lower A-frames to accommodate the bar.