T-10 Breather?

Randy 62

Do T-10's have some type of breather?, All, how about a service case. My T'10 wont stop leaking out of the retainer, new retainer etc.. thought maybe pressure was forcing it out.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I believe the front retainer has a drainback groove that also acts as a vent. If it's leaking from the front, you could get lucky and replacing the retainer gasket might do the trick, but it's most likely the countergear shaft to case wallowed out. You might be able to get it to stop leaking with RTV or a home made paper gasket, but that only stops the leak, not the cause of the leak. The case may need to be repaired to tighten up the shaft interference fit. Overfilling could also show some leakage. It should be filled no more than 1/2 inch below the filler plug hole.:coffee:

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It should be filled no more than 1/2 inch below the filler plug hole.

Cecil, that is a new one on me.... are there any more transmissions or rear ends that are not to be filled right up to the filler hole??

Thanks
Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, that is a new one on me.... are there any more transmissions or rear ends that are not to be filled right up to the filler hole??

Thanks
Dave

Dave,
Let me re-phrase that. I was quoting from the 59 Service Manual and should have said "approximately" instead of "no more than" as shown here:

T-10Service001.jpg

I checked the 61 Service Manual, and it had been revised to fill " to the bottom of the filler hole". they probably figured out that nobody was going to bother trying to measure down nside the case or....they lowered the filler hole. :scratch
Sorry for the confusion.:?