T10 Vs Th350

No409

Supporting Member 1
you should half to weld anything except the frame bracket for the ball stud.

im probally gonna put my pedals in this weekend, ill let you know how hard they are.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
well guess the manual transmission is out then... I didnt planned on welding anything to the frame that couldnt be unbolted if i wanted to go back with an auto.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
What about the M22? I was asking around and their telling me the T10 is a **** transmission compared to a M22 is the M22 a good high hp transmission?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yep, the M-22 is good. Strong too but it's also the hardest to find and the most expensive. It's known as the Rockcrusher. I think it got it's name because it's quite noisy. It makes a nice whiney sound. All the Chevy manual transmissions we've mentioned, except the T-56 will bolt right up to your crossmember without having to move it. As W-Head said you'll need a bigger yoke with a Super T-10 and the same goes for the M-22. A regular T-10 or an M-21, M-22 Muncie is probably plenty strong. And if you need something a bit stronger a Super T-10 is right up there with the Rockcrusher. The main difference is that a Super T-10 can usually be found for about 1/3 the cost of an M-22.
You could always go ahead and weld that bracket to the frame. If you were carefull you could remove it and grind the welds down in such a way that nobody could ever tell it was there.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Ok. now the bracket is that for the clutch cable or what? I was asking around in the muscle car room and this guy i was talking to did a auto to manual with a M22 in his 65 impala and he didnt have to weld anything just bolt it in and swap a few parts. but no welding.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Ok. that goes under the hood then not under the car. so is there anyway to by pass this and go another route or would i have to take and spot weld the bracket onto the front frame 2 1/4" from the body mount?

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

The 65 66 is a different animal. The steering box is right in the way. Stay with people that know the x-frame cars.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
is there anyway to go a different route where i wouldnt have to weld the bracket on or is that required no matter what?

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
You could likely drill and tap the frame and corresponding holes in the bracket, and then bolt the bracket to the frame. Truth be told, however, welding the bracket to the frame isn't a big deal. You can always cut it off, grind the welds down, and nobody would ever know it was on there.

M

Mr.Jimmy

and you have to remember about cutting the hole in the floor for the shifter. I had a 700r in one of mine, and it was fun with the 4:11's. Not as fun as a 4 speed, but alot more friendly. In a month or two, I will be doing the same thing and have one in my wagon behind my 09. I looked like an idiot at the track with my T-10...it was more of a burn out contest than a race and those new Hooser's looke kindof funny ..... :?

bobs409

Administrator
chevy_belair63 said:
well the problem is i dont have a welder.

I remember the days I used to say that! Sounds to me like the perfect excuse to buy one. :) I searched for someone to weld patch panels in my truck years ago and nobody wanted to bother. So, with nothing else to lose, I decided to buy a wire feed welder and see what I could do.

It's one of the best (and favorite) tools I have! I can do so much more now. I really don't know how in the world I did without it.

Oh yeh, I had no experience with welding either. You'll be tack welding practically right out of the box. Within a half hour, you'll be doing small welds and it only gets better from there....

It takes some practice to get real good especially on sheetmetal but there is an easy learning curve. Welding on heavy metal like the frame bracket your talking about or exhaust pipes is the easiest. If money is no object, go for the gas type mig welder. I still have to upgrade to that one myself. (mine is just a $199 dollar Craftsman gasless wire feed type)

If your a car guy and don't have a welder, your living in the stone age. :p :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
bobs409 said:
I
If your a car guy and don't have a welder, your living in the stone age. :p :D

YA BA DAB BA DOOOOOO !!!!

Ouch !! that hurts,,,,,,,, :cry

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
"I looked like an idiot at the track with my T-10...it was more of a burn out contest than a race"

Mr.Jimmy, I know exactly what you mean. My car also has a bit of a traction problem. :rolleyes: I think they needed a calender to clock my 60ft. times. :help Everytime I pulled up to the line I'd be thinking... okay just take it easy this time. But when the light turned green I'd have the car sliding around like a greased whale. Too bad there wasn't any Greenpiece guys around to give me a push. :cry Guys like me would definitely be faster with an automatic but since I'm only here for a good time, I'm sticking with the 4 speed. :D

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Well i been thinking bout getting one of the wire feed welders. just havent had the time to look or the place to put one at the moment. Also the Bracket needs to be welded on before the driverside wheelwell goes back in i take it. or can it be welded on after the wheelwells are on. Also i notced the two indents on the picture above of the bracket mine already has those two indents so i just weld it into that location dont it or do i still measure just to be safe?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jim_ss409 said:
"I looked like an idiot at the track with my T-10...it was more of a burn out contest than a race"

Mr.Jimmy, I know exactly what you mean. My car also has a bit of a traction problem. :rolleyes: :D

I think the problem is your tires not the trans !!!

With my auto trans before I got the engine dialed in I thought I had plenty of traction.
Then the first run with it running right I thought I blew the trans or rear !
It was just the tires frying and the car going all over the track !!!

Borrow a set of stickies and give them a try !!
I bet you find you cured the problem !!! :brow ,,,dq

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ya DQ. I want to try and get to the track with a set of slicks next year. :cool: I know you're aiming for 11.99 but if I could get my car to go 12.99 I'd be thrilled. :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim, from what i heard at the convention you should have no problem getting into the 12`s !!
I think you will be surprised by how much time you pickup with a good set of traction tires !! :D ,,,dq