T56 Super Magnum 6 Speed into 59 El Camino???

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the automatic transmission I want, but based on the info in another project I have, I got to thinking about going to a manual transmission with a hydraulic clutch. Going this route seems intriguing right now.

I'm beginning to wonder though, what work would be involved with putting in one of these:

With this install kit (internally balanced fly wheel, hope it's the right tooth count):

I know I'd need something similar to this as well:

On a vehicle originally equipped with a PG, what work would be needed to install the above parts? If it is a lot of floor pan modifications for more than the floor shifter, I'll probably opt out because I'd rather not spend the money for much more body work.

Also, would the original split bench seat and the shifter interfere with each other?

Thanks!

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have Mike's crossmember for the 700R4 transmission and the original crossmember as well. Not sure if I'd have to change that as well.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That transmission will I think require major floor medications to fit your 59. You need to make sure.
I would estimate that you have raise the entire tunnel 2” from the firewall to the front of your bench seat.
A Tremec TKX 5 speed would fit and have multiple shifter locations to have the shifter not be too close to the bench seat.
A TKX 5 speed is rated for 600 ft pounds and it’s cost is $2795 first produced November of 2020
I am using one behind a 500 HP 409 stroker motor.
why not use a factory manual clutch linkage?
A 700R4 mount will not work. A curved mount will have to be made.

I would deal with a company like Modern Driveline for a T-56 or a TKX to help you have the right shifter location and the transmission mount location for a T-56 and the overall transmission length with a x frame is important to know( as compared to a factory 4 speed shifter location ( factory center of the shifter is 17.5 inches from the bell housing)and 4 speed transmission mount location (factory rear transmission mount location is14.5 inches)

that T-56 6 speed is 27 inches long ( close to the x frame) a factory Borg Warner or Muncie 4 speed is 21.5 inches long - therefore the T56 is 6.5 inches longer than a stock PG or 4 speed transmission
the T-56 transmission mount is 20 inches from the bell housing - or 3 inches further back than a factory mount as noted above
the shifter locations on that T56 that rear shifter mount in your link is 26.6 inches from the bell housing ( to fit your 59 & clear the seat) so you may also need a different shifter not sold with the transmission costing about $300
There are 2 other T56 shifter locations and note that that shifter in your link is on the center of the transmission, not offset like a factory 4 speed shifter that is at least 2.5 inches to the left of the center of the transmission

As I found out I needed to check all the 5 speeds sold -for sizes of transmissions and locations, prices transmissions of parts like shifters needed plus check transmission mounts and shifters locations, for my 62’s
I have Richmond 5 speeds in my 62 409’s now, switching one to a TKX 5 speed -both of these do not require floor modifications.

Paul

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have Mike's crossmember for the 700R4 transmission and the original crossmember as well. Not sure if I'd have to change that as well.
Just get the length of new trans from bell housing to mounting pad and compare it to a 700R4 length, BH to pad mount

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Stick with your original plan with the automatic.Changing this thing over to this trans.set up is going to be an expensive PIA. I suggest for an engine of your size,blown,using a 4l80e.A stick will just put an additional pounding on an already weak Jag rear and suspension.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
You could check with Silver Sports transmissions To see what they say. They put complete kits together for some cars ( my c1 corvette as an example) and they moved the shifter location so that it was correct. There is also a new TKX that is supposedly smaller as was mentioned previously. Not a cheap proposition - well over 4k for my kit and I installed it myself. I have a 700 r4 in my ‘ 59 El Camino and I like that. Mine is not a hot rod though- just a small block.

Attachments

• 08FAA5E3-16F9-4B65-AF17-34487BE5B12A.jpeg
    08FAA5E3-16F9-4B65-AF17-34487BE5B12A.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 8A492D3E-CA35-4FB0-A6F1-E39C0BC01B1D.jpeg
    8A492D3E-CA35-4FB0-A6F1-E39C0BC01B1D.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 11

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for all the input and quick responses!

Given likelihood of modifying the floor pan, and everything involved, I'm not going to be ahead for costs or ease of install.

Here is the actual transmission I'll going with, a GM rebuilt 4L75:

and a dual pattern torque converter as well.

Thanks again, this was all good info!