Tach Wiring

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sent my 61 tach out last fall to Williamson to be restored. Weather is getting nice here so figured I would get it installed. Hooked it all up and does not work. I have it wired just like the diagram. Red wire to positive side of tach, green wire to negative side of tach, brown wire going to negative side of the coil which would be the distributor side but I am running a MSD 6AL box and black wire to engine ground on firewall.. Any suggestions?
Sun Tach rc_wire.jpg sun eb9-a mounting.jpg

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Dan, the 6AL Installation Instructions for the 6AL Black wire say "This wire connects to the coil negative (-) terminal. This is the ONLY wire that makes electrical contact with the negative coil terminal. "

The 6AL has a Tach output - have you tried using the DIST PRIMARY in your diagram to the 6AL Tach connection instead of DIST PRIMARY to the coil negative (-) terminal?

Hope you can get it working.

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clyde, I don't quite understand what your saying. The black wire on the diagram goes to ground. The brown wire is the one that goes to the negative side of the coil. Are you saying I should try the brown wire that goes to the distributor to the tach connection on the 6AL box? Don't have a clue where the conntction on the box is. The box is under the dash.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Dan, did Williamson put all new solid state parts in the tach head and leave the box empty? I was reading on Williamson website that was how it was being done because a high percentage of the old tachs are not repairable. The empty transmitter box was still placed in its original underhood location, but was non functional. The wiring would be different of course.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, did Williamson put all new solid state parts in the tach head and leave the box empty? I was reading on Williamson website that was how it was being done because a high percentage of the old tachs are not repairable. The empty transmitter box was still placed in its original underhood location, but was non functional. The wiring would be different of course.
Leo, I can't remember exactly but I did tell them I was running the 6AL box and would need the correct wiring diagram. Unfortunately all I got was the diagram that I posted. Not real impressed.

Dan....just call Ronnie on Monday morning. Hate to see you "fry" something.
Phil, Guess that is my best bet. This whole deal from the beginning has not been one of my best experiences.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan,The tach hook up on a 6AL box is a single spade connector on the side of the box.Your brown wire from the tach would plug in there,and the black wire to the negative side of the coil.If the tach still dosen't work then,the tach is defective.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On another note how are you guys wiring up the light. In the assembly manual it says to plug the receptacle into the LMPS or ACC on the fuse panel. I did this and the light does not work either.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,The tach hook up on a 6AL box is a single spade connector on the side of the box.Your brown wire from the tach would plug in there,and the black wire to the negative side of the coil.If the tach still dosen't work then,the tach is defective.
Ok, hooked it up like Don said and it works perfect. Thanks Don...:clap
Wish Williamsons would have provided these instructions to begin with. I had already cut the wires to length per Williamsons instructions so I had to splice the wires in order to get the lengths...:grumble

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On another note how are you guys wiring up the light. In the assembly manual it says to plug the receptacle into the LMPS or ACC on the fuse panel. I did this and the light does not work either.
Got out the test light out and sure enough the LMPS or ACC terminal on the fuse box worked with the light switch so, I pulled the tach back out and found the bulb was bad. Pretty much rounds out this deal.