Taking a break between projects

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Been stripping paint from the front fenders of the '62 convert project to uncover what I knew was a previous repair to each of the lower sections:

1962 RH fender convertible.jpg

It's boring messy task (and there's two of them as well as a hood!) and it was sunny and warmer outside today so I thought it a good time to exercise each of the girls:

63 and 65.jpg

65 and 63.jpg

Tonight James is stopping by to advance the 62SS project. She gets the fresh stock stroke QB build done by Day Automotive with some help from a local shop:

QB on the Hook.jpg

I finally got the radiant heat figured out at least a little better, perhaps we'll test it tonite :).

Cheers! TomK

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
what was in the Pizza Box Tom? i dont see any empty beer cans! i'd like to be a mouse snooping around all those spare parts! the girls look great! if you ever get to Michigan there is a museum called the Gilmore. one of the top 5 in the world and there is a 63 split window 1 of 1 on loan there from the owner. Black with a 427 4 speed. It was created by one of the chevrolet engineers as a test car, was supposed to be crushed but was given to the guy that created it and survived. very cool car! The hood wasn't open when i was there so i dont know if it was a Z11 or not.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
She's in the bay! Took a bit of wiggling back and forth but the QB engine is in place. Of course the four bolts for the tranny were toooo long since we switched from the former scatter shield to a conventional 553 bell housing. It was after 9:00 PM and we were only into the second beers so we decided to rehydrate :).
QB in the bay.jpg
This morning I picked up shorter Grade 8 fasteners and hopefully things will come together next week for a possible break in of the engine :).

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I am shocked that Tom didn't tell everyone how last Tuesday went.
Well after I rolled around under the car for an hour or two we moved to the top side and went to prime the engine and found the oil pump drive shaft was to short. :doh
So tomorrow I get to remove the engine and remedy this setback. :scratch
Not naming names but it wasn't Tom or James that did this.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I am shocked that Tom didn't tell everyone how last Tuesday went.
Well after I rolled around under the car for an hour or two we moved to the top side and went to prime the engine and found the oil pump drive shaft was to short. :doh
So tomorrow I get to remove the engine and remedy this setback. :scratch
Not naming names but it wasn't Tom or James that did this.
Did you lose your religion ?:D

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think Tom was surprised how well I kept my composure.
I have a good idea who did this and my track record with him.......well lets just say that I have made him cry in the past.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
This particular engine had the short block done professionally and the top end and oiling system done by an amateur :).

I might have contributed to the oiling problem because I am pretty sure I supplied the Melling 55HV in a box and often they come with the SBC oil pump shaft. They guy just went with that. I was confident things were done right. I was wrong. Lesson learned.

Luckily it's something we can correct, and we're hoping that's all that was done wrong...

Here's James getting in position in the engine bay:

James in the engine bay.jpg