Tar toppers

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This is a mock version of the old Delco Tar-top battery ..back in the day. Has anyone ever bought one of these?

Ron

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I've got a couple of them. They are made by two different companies, if you could combine the two you'd have a good product.

The "Tar Topper" is the cheaper one, (cost about $25.00) has yellow painted caps that are moulded into the top. The other model cost about $55.00 and has removable caps and the caps are available in either yellow or black. The top of this model is too smooth to really look like a real tar top battery.

Both models cause problems with the battery cables because the posts aren't long enough so the connections sometimes are a problem. The more expensive model offers post extentions, don't waste your money on these. They are made of aluminum and corrode quickly and are a pain in the butt.

bigjune62

I've got a couple of them. They are made by two different companies, if you could combine the two you'd have a good product.

The "Tar Topper" is the cheaper one, (cost about $25.00) has yellow painted caps that are moulded into the top. The other model cost about $55.00 and has removable caps and the caps are available in either yellow or black. The top of this model is too smooth to really look like a real tar top battery.

Both models cause problems with the battery cables because the posts aren't long enough so the connections sometimes are a problem. The more expensive model offers post extentions, don't waste your money on these. They are made of aluminum and corrode quickly and are a pain in the butt.

What companies manufacture these pieces?
Junior

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the advise and the web-links Tommy...much appreciated!

Ron

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Cecil,these are not bad batteries.I picked one of these up 2 years ago at Carlisle,been holding up pretty good,of course I disconnect my hot wire from the battery when the car sits in the garage all week.I think if I would buy another I would get the acid free type.The other type you have to purchase the acid and add it to the battery.There is always a problem getting rid of the extra acid that you do not use. As far as original looking,they are absolutely on the money.The company will not haggle on prices,their prices are really firm and not cheap.. John

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"If you're looking for the original, this is just about the closest thing you can get. Not cheap but pretty accurate. They make all types of Delco repro batteries."

I just bought one of their maintainance free batteries, it was in the $250 range. I hope it's better than the old style batteries that I've been buying. I only use these batteries in my show cars and that's probably why they don't last any longer than they do. I use the battery toppers in my '63 Impala and my old Corvette cause I drive them quite a bit. The topper, if installed correctly is ok for a driver car it just doesn't cut it for point judging.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If you want to discuss EXPENSIVE batteries that don't last very long then aicraft batteries are at the top of the list. The battery for my T-28 is a 24V and weighs 80lbs. It comes dry and you have to add the acid......only way to ship it. They only last maybe 3 years if your lucky. I went through 3 of them in a 5 year period. The heat just kills them and at $600+ a pop it's not like you can just run down to autozone for a new one. I do use 2 autozone 12v batts wired in series for a start cart and ground power to save the big one. I have a new gel cell batt that I haven't used yet and probably never will since it will likely be dead (or I will) before I get the airplane going again.:cuss

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a new gel cell batt that I haven't used yet and probably never will since it will likely be dead (or I will) before I get the airplane going again.:cuss

That was funny Cecil.........................well then, maybe it wasn't!!!!