Temp Gauge and Sender 59 Belair

Simon

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I wish to confirm if the temp gauge in a 6 cylinder 59 belair is same or different to a 348 59 belair?

Reason being that I have replaced the 6 cylinder with a 348 and the temperature gauge is over reading by a massive margin.

Have tried two gauges with the same result.

New sender installed AC Delco G1852. (I've been assured this is the correct one).

Gauge reads Hot at 160F using infrared gun on hose near thermostat housing.

Cheers.

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
I cant imagine the same sender giving different temp readings...however I can see the 348 running hotter than the 6 banger!
make sure your fan is in the shroud the right amount.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The parts book doesn't show a different sender number for 6 or V8. Maybe a connection problem? Or grounding problem?

Simon

Well Known Member
Thanks for your replies. I figured the temp gauge (its a moving needle not an idiot light) wouldn't be different on the chevs with v8 or 6. I'll have to take the sender out and test but I think I've got a bad sender. Can anyone provide a P/No for me or confirm AC Delco G1852 is the correct sender.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Simon I ride a motorcycle ride every year that started in your town of Perth The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride. I see your avatar has motorcycles in it, is that something you’ve.heard of ?

Simon

Well Known Member
No I haven't. I'm still riding the GSX1400 but haven't done a big trip in years. That photo was during a ride from Perth to Melbourne across the Nullarbor to watch the super bikes at Phillip Island.