Temp Gauge

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Where does your temp gauge needle normally sit at while cruising?
I still haven't taken a long shake down cruise in my '58 Impala but had the 327 engine idle for 10-15 minutes a couple of times in 100° ambient temperature and the needle sits as pictured.

IMG_8477.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry for the long winded answer, however, that would seem to be a hard question when you take into consideration of what engine mods if any were done, of where people are living, when and how they are driving the car, how accurate the gauge, what type of cooling system they are using ( radiators, fan, fan blade, electric fan, 1 or 2, additives ) thermostat rating, etc.. I think I would ask what is the best temperature the engine should run at. Find what mine was running at, and verify the gauge is basically correct. Then work towards my goal. I probably just didn't understand you question :dunno

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good to know, I'll check at the thermo housing, thx.

Reactions: 327

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
To clarify, where is the needle pointed at on your dash gauge in relationship to your rated 180° thermostat?

Ricky, when pointing the temp gun at the top radiator hose, would the reading be accurate in relationship to the water temp?
I always check on the manifold below the t stat housing… only takes a second to check a couple spots….

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gotcha Rickey. I just didn't want to run an aftermarket temp gauge. After a couple hundred miles I'll be familiar with the temp to gauge needle position will be.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Interesting as in my 61’s and the 62 my gauge is right there when the thermostat opens. However when getting the 2-4’s dialed in on
the white 61 I’ve seen the gauge just touching the right vertical mark!
Robert

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry for delayed reply but had other things going on.
Reading at the thermostat housing 70° @ 625 ohms and 180° @ 224 ohms.
The dash gauge needle was 3/4 to the "H".
I ordered an after market temp gauge and will check it out by putting sender in boiling water then compare the reading by using a thermostat gun.
At any event, all's good.