Temperature Gauge

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I was browsing the internet this morning and came across a really nice '62 Impala SS. They showed some pics which I could enlarge, and I saw something interesting. This car had a temperature gauge with a sweeping needle between C and H. I've never seen this before. My '62 and all the others I have seen always had a green and red light. This gauge looked like it belonged there. Would this have been optional or maybe it doesn't belong there?? Just curious. Thanks, Carmine.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
'61 has a gauge like you describe Carmine.. It would fit in there and look like it belongs there...
Rick

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Rick. I didn't know its origin, but it did look like the other two in design. Next time I see the dash of a '61, I'll take a closer look. This car was really nice so I have to wonder why someone changed out this gauge. Guess it's because they can, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I love my green/cold light.
Yes, me also. On other '62's that I looked at before my last purchase, I would always insist that the green/red temp. light work. When my '64 arrived, the light worked for a while then quit. I spent many hours under the dash trying to figure it out. I remember it being real tight. I think there was a bad wire but I did get it to work again, Carmine.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
61 used the sweeping temp gauge. Never could figure out why 62 went to the idiot lights.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carl 1962 did a conversion on his, using a MGB gauge that fits almost perfectly in the 62 gauge holes. They record both temp and oil pressure and work with a "splitter" on the oil pressure sender and some place else for the temp probe, ither than the original intake sensor hole. This way you get both lights and a real gauge. If you remove the clock that is. You can use the outside edge of a stock 62 gauge blank as the "shim' looks very good that way too.

The MGB gauge is available in lbs and F as well as metric.
med_1467018691-P5180091.JPG

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
i can't be doing that and showing either but I do appreciate the photo details.
Robert