TH700R4 Trans To 348

BB1960

Well Known Member
Thanks heaps for the photo, no I hadn't forgotten.. I only a young bull so the memory is good.

Looks a little more complicated than it needs to be.

Is this supplied with the Locar kit or was this purchased elsewhere?

I'm keen to dummy mock the engine and trans into the car and start on the long road to reassembly.

Cheers,

Simon

BB1960

Well Known Member
"Is this supplied with the Locar kit or was this purchased elsewhere?"

Just re-read you reply. Had a look on their site.

Looks like they have spent some time setting this up, looks a little over-engineered though.

For the money though, was the kit worth it?

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
700R4 mess

Just a word of caution when installing an automatic. I just put a 305 & 700R4 into my sons '85 Blazer. We spent over $2000 on the transmission for rebuild & all the latest greatest upgrades. Brand new Corvette aluminum Radiator....... same thing planned for the '38 Chev & the 409.

My son drove it for 4 days, about 200 miles and the transmission cooler in the radiator leaked and mixed the coolant and the transmission fluid.

They tell me (several shops) that the coolant..... 50/50 mix with antifreeze will destroy the clutches & torque converter........ within a few months regardless of flushing........... and the transmission has to be taken apart, cleaned & new parts installed again..........

GM and other rad suppliers will only replace the defective radiator.......

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO PRESSURE TEST THE TRANSMISSION COOLER EVEN WITH A NEW RAD ...........

Dave

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is a good reason to NEVER use the combo radiators !!!!
I always try to install the stand alone trans cooler,,

beside that I think they cool better,,,,,

And i know some will answer that the trans cooler in the radiator helps heat up the trans to the proper temp and keep it there,,,

make up your own mind ,,, mine is,,,

On the other hand,,,,, flush the trans at a trans shop that has the total flushing machine that hooks to the trans cooling lines. These machines work great in doing a total flushiing of the trans.
Then remove the trans pan and replace the filter BEFORE leaving that shop.
This should give you the best shot at removing all the antifreeze from your trans.
You then might do a fluid replacement again in a few hunderd miles of driving.

You have nothing to lose,,, I bet this would work and you will get many miles on that trans without problems.
,,dq

62wagon

"Is this supplied with the Locar kit or was this purchased elsewhere?"

Just re-read you reply. Had a look on their site.

Looks like they have spent some time setting this up, looks a little over-engineered though.

For the money though, was the kit worth it?

Everything you see there is supplied in the Bow-Tie Overdrives kit. A little aggravating to put on since you have to change the linkage on the carb but works well once it is on there. The reason for the large adapter is there is no hole in the bottom of the linkage for the TV cable. They have done their homework. Hope this helps.

Mark