Thanking about selling

Mr harold knight

I been thanking about getting a muscle car ,never had one . But to get one i would have to sale my 1962 327 Impala SS . I am 71 years old so i need to not keep waiting and make up my mind . Ben looking on Ebay and the prices are all over the place. My car is number machining 4-speed i have had the Impala about 7 years. I hate to sale my car and end up with a not to good of a car. Can't figure out a asking price for my car. What would be a good price to ask for it ? It's raining so i been thanking and looking around on the internet . I am probable opening up a can of worms but have one else to ask that knows the 1962 Impalas like the people here .. Thanks

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Wait just a minute!!! Don't you consider a 1962 Impala SS with a V8 and a 4 speed a "muscle car"? I certainly do :) :) :).

So do you have a specific "dream car" in mind? Have you considered stuffing a dual quad 409 under your existing hood, if that 327 V8 isn't enough power?

Inquiring minds need to know :).

Cheers! TomK

P.S. Some use the Hagerty.com site to get an idea of what their car might be worth. I think those values are a bit on the high side, as they can be quite flattering in certain cases. But they do follow national sales, auctions and trends and factor those into their assessment.

Mr harold knight

I would love a dual quad 409 but don't have the money to get one, I am retired so i have to watch the dollars close . I have worked hard to keep this 62 stock as i can so i been holding off hot rodding it. I will look into Hagerty . Thanks

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I definitely can understand the appeal of other cars. I have spent a fortune over my life on cars and bikes chasing the next one. Consider this though, if your car is in real nice shape and you are real happy with it, you will be let down shortly after you purchase that next car most likely. Yes it will be new and exciting at first. You will then start finding things that you either want to make better, or things you have too that will cost you money and time to get back to the level you had. However, you should do what you want, its your life and we only get one. Tread lightly and slowly. Good luck.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have built and owned at least over 10 -1962 Chevy's -I completely rebuilt 6 -62's --- 3 off them 409's (two I still have)
I also helped friends (2 of them) and in one case found to purchase --1962 Impala SS Hardtops -both of them 327's.

Probably easier to have you call me. I will send you a private message
another way is Mecum sales for 62's - they have reserve auctions to protect the seller

Barrett Jackson I do not trust -a rich persons auction were Prices can be too high and conditions of the cars vary too much.
(after trips to Barrett in Scottsdale the last two years)...

There is wide variance in prices -for conditions on value rating services(the differences from #1 to #3 rated cars vary wildly) Rating places like Old Cars Weekly and Hagerty & NADA (TO HIGH ON NADA) -Using these ratings is very hard to compare unless you have seen the car in person

Paul Stensland

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Right now may be a very bad time to sell. I think many people are afraid to spend money, I know I am. This will slow sales considerably and cause people to lower price if they feel desperate. I would say it's a good time to buy but not to sell.
If you're not desperate to sell hold tight until this corona thing blows away.
Without seeing your car I would make a guess at around $28K to $32K in a GOOD market, but must be in superb condition. 1962 Impala SS are pretty desirable cars, especially on the west coast. Lots of potential buyers aren't necessarily interested in a 409.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I agree now is not a good time to sell a classic car as noted above.
Robert how much does he want for your previous 62 SS 409 ?
There is probably from $ 15000 to $ 30,000 difference (depending on condition) from a 327 SS to a 409 SS (with really nice 409's have even more difference.)

Mr harold knight

Your right this would be a bad time to sell any thing but TP. I am still thanking about it but will give it a try when this is over with . I love the car and it's a lot of fun to drive. If i was not retired i would keep the car and get a second one but can't have both. Thanks for all the input on this.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Keep the 62 327 4 speed (my dream car in high school)......:cool: You will regret selling it, ask me how I know.....:doh.
If you want a true (definition) muscle car then buy one, enjoy it or not and sell if it isn't what you expected....:dunno.
Owning one is not a life sentence.....:pray
That way you still have your sweet 62 and have tried the 'l'autre femme' (other car) to see if it's right...:brow
Believe me you will be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable ride than that 62 327 4-speed......:bow

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I agree now is not a good time to sell a classic car as noted above.
Robert how much does he want for your previous 62 SS 409 ?
There is probably from $ 15000 to $ 30,000 difference (depending on condition) from a 327 SS to a 409 SS (with really nice 409's have even more difference.)

Paul I talked to him earlier today and he is asking at 62,500. The car is in one of his show rooms and looks great! I can help with show history stuff on the car if necessary
Robert

Mr harold knight

Mike: not sure yet. something i don't have to worry about number matching or if i do something to the car it will hurt the valve of the car.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike: not sure yet. something i don't have to worry about number matching or if i do something to the car it will hurt the valve of the car.

Years ago I got a 62 QB engine from my neighbor so I went out looking for a car to put it in, around 1990ish. I found a really nice 64 Impala SS, actually bought it from an elderly retired school teacher (female) She bought it brand new and had every single receipt for every single thing ever done to the car. I mean every single one. The carb, alternator, starter had never been replaced but they had been rebuilt a couple times at the dealer. The pcv was cleaned like clock work at the dealer. Every vacuum line was original etc. It was a 327/auto with air. Yellow black interior. She even made it a point to tell me that the 4 hubcaps were the original ones that came with it when purchased, she was proud that they were never stolen. She use to take them off the car when parked in the driveway. I was driving it for a couple of weeks and as I started looking the car over I realized how friggin original this car was and decided that I couldn't do the engine swap as planned, just to nice and original. So I put it up for sale. I had bought it for $3500 and listed it for $5000, which was high at that time. This was back in the auto trader magazine days-no internet. So a fellow calls me and wants to make certain it's an original yellow car, not a repaint. I gave him the cowl tag info. Exactly what he wanted, he absolutely had to have an orignal yellow car:dunno He was from out of state. He drives out to look at it and make certain. He liked it and drove to his parents about 100 miles away to get the money and then drove back and bought it, keep in mind my $5000 price was on the high side. So that original car went down the road.:brow
I ended up buying a 62 Impala 6 cyl 3 speed that became a 409 4 speed car:dance
Moral of this story:dunno Nothing other then just felt like telling the story.