The Bubbletop is home

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What's amazing is it sat outside under pine trees in Nova Scotia for more than 25 years. Look how it sits up pretty level; there is an old thrush type of muffler on it, the muffler still has paint and check out the tailpipe still there; the quarters are not open on the bottom, nor are the doors, but lots of old bondo.
I think the frame is very solid, the gas tank may be good (check out the filler), none of the wheels were seized. The trunk has no obvious holes, just some rust in front of the rear bumper.

Rat rod- brand new stock interior, redo engine compartment, glass rubbers, brakes, get everything working, leave the outside as is.

Many people would shoot me, and my wife likely would not go near the car.

Don

364247538.jpg

364247544.jpg

364247550.jpg

364247546.jpg

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Look's like a Diamond in the rough, Don.:clap It will be a nice car, when finished.:brow

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Don it's looking great !!! I want to see a picture after you're finished with the pressure washer.........

Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey Don it's looking great !!! I want to see a picture after you're finished with the pressure washer.........

Dave

Pressure washer? :eek:OH NO:nono1:
You might wash off that wonderful green moss patina. Rat Rod guys would pay good money to duplicate that look. I say spray clear coat over it.:rolleyes:

Just kidding.:D

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pressure washer? :eek:OH NO:nono1:
You might wash off that wonderful green moss patina. Rat Rod guys would pay good money to duplicate that look. I say spray clear coat over it.:rolleyes:

Just kidding.:D

Kind of like the guy that hydro seeded his car with grass then cruised it around for the summer.....:doh Must of been a real b!tch to mow.....:eek:

super sport

Well Known Member
wow, what a great find shes a beauty . How did you come across this bubble top . were you just on a daily drive and saw it from the street , tell us the story ..

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don you have been busy.......... the car is looking great for sure, it's in really good shape. Sure doesn't have much rust for sitting outside for all that time.

So was that gas filler spout a COPO option ??? :roll

Dave

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don, You are one lucky guy. That is a great find. I can't believe how good the interior parts seem to be. Good luck with it. :cheers

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I talked to Phil, he is coming for a visit, I’m expecting him to clean off all that old waste oil.

Looks better since the pressure wash Dave. It was full of rodent crap, still stinks like shiit. The COPO option, I could picture that as a NASCAR option- with the big gas can connected? It sat under pine trees outside since the early 80's and the junkyard owner oiled it regularly.

It has a 62 Impala front seat, a 63 Pontiac rear seat, and I think Olds door panels, passenger door has “Holiday” on it. Are those rear armrests the same setup as a Bel Air?

The floor have been patched and tarred, mostly just the footwells. The floor base is very solid, will need mostly just the bottoms. The braces that hold the front seats in place are shot- only 2 bolts holding the seat down. The exterior has a lot of bondo, but the bottoms are still in the quarters. The front engine area is very solid. May need a new engine bonnet and probably a trunk lid. The trunk is rusted at the bumper lip. The rockers are solid, the windows all work except the driver’s door.

Is that Powerglide column the same as a US car? I think it was a whie car with red interior, the trim tag has only a 2 where it says paint code. Where the red paint is peeling. It is white underneath. I have ordered the GM Canada package, it will tell me the original colour. It is a V8 (283), Powerglide, has a radio, no PS or PB, and was built in Canada.

Super Sport, the story is the guy who painted my other old cars told me about this car a couple of years ago, but said he likely wouldn’t sell it. I wasn’t ready for another project either, so I didn’t pursue it. I sold a car in February so had this car in the back of my mind and the painter called and we went to see it. He wouldn’t give me a price, so I made him an offer and he accepted. The car was not visible from the road and was in a local junkyard which I had visited before, but had never seen the car.

Just a question of being in the right place at the right time. This is my third old car, a 59 El Camino, a 63 Corvette, and this, all bought within 60 miles of home.

You will note the Chevy hinge on the door, it will get moved in there as soon as it stops smelling so bad.

Don

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don,
As a fellow "treasure" hunter, I can say that is a great score. :clap
I think you should save that whiskey bottle on the battery tray and make it into a washer fluid bottle....:D

BTW save that fuel pump. It looks like an original AC without frog pads....maybe even a 4757.....you can rebuild it and use it on your Corvette or sell it to the Corvette guys for good money.:coffee:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don, That steering column shift indicator is most defiantly different than the US cars. Never seen anything like that on GM. What does the emblem on the rear quarter say? It almost looks like the door panels are original? Is it possable the Canadian cars use the Olds interior? The back door panels and fillers look like my 61' Bel-Air panels.

Attachments

• passenger door panel.jpg
    passenger door panel.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Steeringwheel shift indecator.jpg
    Steeringwheel shift indecator.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 67

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don,
As a fellow "treasure" hunter, I can say that is a great score. :clap
I think you should save that whiskey bottle on the battery tray and make it into a washer fluid bottle....:D

BTW save that fuel pump. It looks like an original AC without frog pads....maybe even a 4757.....you can rebuild it and use it on your Corvette or sell it to the Corvette guys for good money.:coffee:

Thanks Cecil, I'll check it out. Good idea on the whiskey bottle- it was rye.

Don