The Chevrolet Story 1911-1961

Bubble

Supporting Member 1
I picked up this Chevrolet 50th Anniversary Booklet "The Chevrolet Story 1911-1961" at a swap meet.
It describes the history of Chevrolet and shows pictures of all the assembly plants and 1961 models.
I found it interesting that the 4 door Biscayne had 2 roof lines the 4 Door Sedan and the 4 Door Fleetmaster. I have never seen the Sedan roofline before, have you?
TheChevroletStory001.jpg
Biscayne.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I'm not sure what you are referring too about the two different roof lines.... :dunno the Biscayne and the Bel-Air 2 and 4 door sedan models shared the same roof line and they were what we call the porch roof. The Sport Sedan didn't have the porch roof. I think maybe that first photo of the Biscyne 4 door may be confusing you, you can't see the porch roof overhang but it's there.

Bubble

Supporting Member 1
Thanks, that makes sense. The roof just blends into the guy's t-shirt.
So what is the difference between the Sedan and Fleetmaster?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Maybe something about the window trim. I remember somebody looking for Fleetmaster rear window rubber as it was different than regular sedan.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Thanks, that makes sense. The roof just blends into the guy's t-shirt.
So what is the difference between the Sedan and Fleetmaster?

The Fleetmaster was a less expensive Biscayne and can be determined by the VIN. On the exterior the Fleetmaster didn't have the bight metal trim on the windshield molding or on the rocker panel. In the interior the Fleetmaster didn't have a cigarette lighter and had only one horn button on the steering wheel and only a drivers side sun visor.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1961_Chevrolet/1961_Chevrolet_Prestige_Brochure/1961 Chevrolet Prestige Brochure-12-13.html

Rick