The good..the bad & the ugly.....valve seats!!!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
First off....those of you who think this thread is about Jack Gibbs, Ronnie Russell, and DQ ARE WRONG!!!!! Also, Dick, Robert & Cecil will not be mentioned either!!!!

On my forage this past weekend......while Jack was raiding my backyard, I picked up these 3 1963 690 heads. Starting with the red one on the bottom....they are the Good, the middle one is Bad and the one on top is UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bottom head is mostly all original but the other 2 are prime examples of IGNORANT work done at a machine shop THAT IS NOT QUALIFIED!!!!!! I wouldn't even trust my lawn mower engine to those guys!!

The second picture shows how they cut out ALL 8 VALVE SEATS and were going to put in valve seats. They have the intakes pressed into position but look at the exhaust seats!!! You can see the water jackets showing thru!!!!

Now they must have figured out they ####** up and then got THEIR CERTIFIED WELDER in to fix their problem!!! This is absolutely the worst cylinder head I have ever seen!!!! Bar none!!!! And the picture doesn't do this justice!! It looks MUCH WORSE in person!!!! Look at the 4th picture...........the valve guide bosses are gone and about 3 times too big!!!

There have been some posts here about the "need" for hardened seats. We have used the hardened exhaust seats for over 20 years without any type of failure. Hard exhaust seats, bronze guides and stainless valves makes the heads "lead-free"......providing you will put 20-30,000 miles on your 348 or 409. But these heads show that not all machine shops are qualified to try this type of repair.

But, I know a guy who can fix these....I just have to see how big a second mortage I neeed to take out to do this!!!! I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• 690heads1.jpg
    690heads1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 690heads2.jpg
    690heads2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 690heads3.jpg
    690heads3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 690heads4.jpg
    690heads4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 205

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
ARRRRGGGG! (to quote my favorite pirate) :eek: That's criminal:mad::bang Somebody get a rope and let's string em up! (We're still allowed to do that aren't we?):scratch :stooges

As bad as that is, we have a guy here that could probably fix it but it would be pricey and probably not worth it unless it was the last 690 on earth. I've seen him fix a 426 hemi block that had the bottom quarter of the block blown out with missing chunks.:bow

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ouch!! That's uglier then my mother in law!

attachment.php

:roll

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Yea some machine shops just don't know what they are doing. In the 80s I bought a 409 from a machine/speed shop that said it leaked water from a head gasket and milled the heads decked the block. After we fired it it milk shaked because they had sleeved it (didn't tell me that) didn't seal from a cracked cylinder! At least I got an intake and Z-11 water pump from it.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Even on BBC 396/427 I have seen some butchers out there. Weld?? They are nuts!! There is a specific (very specific) compond that can be used when you "Hit" water while doing seats. Core shift is not your friend either.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, I can honestly say that I've never seen anything like that. In fact, the pictures made me feel a little queezy. Better go lay down. Man!! That was ugly......... :doh

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
ARRRRGGGG! (to quote my favorite pirate) :eek: That's criminal:mad::bang Somebody get a rope and let's string em up! (We're still allowed to do that aren't we?):scratch :stooges

ARRRR,,, Maybe walking the plank would be a good punishment!:beerbang

Attachments

• mhon105l.jpg
    mhon105l.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 89

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OUCH! Even my DATE (code) Left me....:cry

Attachments

• 690 ouch.jpg
    690 ouch.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 89

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Phil:
Ronnie about sums that for me also. I don't feel so good... and on a pair of 690's is hard to take:mad:
Robert

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
Looking at that "HACK JOB" got me a little scared. So I printed the pictures off and showed the to the guy at the speed shop where I had mine done. He couldn't believe it. The good thing is I saw my 379's after he machined them and before he installed the seats. Everything looked good. I didn't have much choice they needed to be reseated. Is there a possibility that maybe he had the seat cutter set to the wrong diameter? If you don't know what your doing I guess its possible. vin