the more i look the more rust i find??

Corby

I've started the dig on my 59 impala hardtop, and all I find is rust. I am nervous about the media blasting the car could just come apart at the pinch welds. Do you guys know the best resource for body patches. I need some odd ones I can find all the stuff down low and floor pans. Today I pulled the weather stripping from the trunk, and the channel was rotted out, do they make those patches??

Or should I just look for a whole new parts car?

thanks for the help,

Corby

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to used cars 101! A general rule of thumb: what ever rust you see with the naked eye will be tripled when you disasemble.
I would check out Cars Inc, Michigan

www.carsinc.com

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Welcome to used cars 101! A general rule of thumb: what ever rust you see with the naked eye will be tripled when you disasemble.

www.carsinc.com

Aint that the truth. get ready to do some fab work. If you have the time And can work at your own pace. Some good ol metal work is some of my favorite. Its fun making some of your own panels and welding them in. Saves some money and you have some fun.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've started the dig on my 59 impala hardtop, and all I find is rust. I am nervous about the media blasting the car could just come apart at the pinch welds. Do you guys know the best resource for body patches. I need some odd ones I can find all the stuff down low and floor pans. Today I pulled the weather stripping from the trunk, and the channel was rotted out, do they make those patches??

Or should I just look for a whole new parts car?

thanks for the help,

Corby

I think you would be better off looking for a new car and use yours as a parts car. JMO...good luck.

dgwar

Well Known Member
I'm in Santee, SC there is a decent 59 in the junk yard here. here is the number, the guy's name is Dan 803-854-2455 He takes Monday off. I think he has a 60 as well.

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1

www.carsinc.com

I've always wondered why I don't see many 59-61 cars. I suppose they are either crushed or rotted.

There is more new metal on my '59 EC than original metal, I think. Floor pans, rocker panels, all the quarter panels, bed framing and bed floor.

Classic Industries in Calif is another place to get parts.

Jack

bobs409

Administrator
My 66 Impala's lower trunk weatherstrip lip was rotted so I took a sawzall to the junkyard and cut a perfect one from a donor car. Then just cut out the bad area and welded in the new one! Wasn't hard to do. :)

Bob

Corby

Went to Santee today to check out the parts cars, it was a waste of gas. They were swiss cheese. Just wanted to let you know. It was cool to walk through 300 old cars with my dad telling me stories of the good old days!! so not a total waste of time

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
59 2-door quarter

Corby:

I have a complete factory RH quarter panel we took off a 59 Impala 2-door hardtop years ago. I saved the full wheel house and the whole RH fin in the back. It even has all the molding clips still in the quarter panel!!

If it's something you can use, drop me a PM with your phone number or address. It would take me about a week and probably 3 ex-football players to get it out to take some pictures for you!!

Phil

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Went to Santee today to check out the parts cars, it was a waste of gas. They were swiss cheese. Just wanted to let you know. It was cool to walk through 300 old cars with my dad telling me stories of the good old days!! so not a total waste of time

Walkin thru with your dad sounds like a good time! That alone sounds like a good day.

Corby

Phil I bought this car out of KS I wish I would have known about your quarter when I was there!! does it go all the way to the weather stripping grove around the trunk?