The start of my "addiction"

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've mentioned it several times in the past when others posted up pictures of Roman Red '61 Impalas, but found some old pictures of the one that started it all for me and wanted to share them.

Daddy bought this for Mama in 1967. They were the 2nd owners and it was originally sold here in Milledgeville, GA by Mr. Frank Massengale. Although the dealership has changed hands at least 3 times over the years, Frank is still there selling Chevrolets. He was issued a letter of Thanks from General Motors last year. Currently on his 70th year selling them and he is going on 87 years old. (Guess you could start as a salesman awfully young back then?)

The one picture is from the late 80's so excuse the white Z28 wheels as I was it was popular at the time and I'd talked them into putting them on there.
downsized_1961 red chevy.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
v3R5VWlJi8ycHa2lVCsK0LQpN6fO903j4dC_Sb9tV8N7waW7d_1iCA==.jpg bOPihEpxRVGCVpjdBAe5UHE5rzSEmnSyVtAQAElI28qqouyyTNmRBA==.jpg EjyhFqDQHNifrE2civ8OgjulJ1sM8L-Rza1CagKuMkTYx_VZuGoMTA==.jpg Fvev2eNXPmW_2bof5d5eTToybMtP0vPSg0-KEF7DFSyiU6fpV1cR_Q==.jpg HtR2RT9jihgzgv9CqQr55Dd3ijwoMKBlWvbBpmwSD6jnk4idTvcASA==.jpg MC62UVZfUir14EQpQhhtr-6DD3Wn2sIJVgOX4aJYujid9xtSz0iwTw==.jpg TEHuIcHs0cKN1cRmxy57wPAjz6Ys2C3aXl8QqcKkd9KesKVmggR17Q==.jpg vdVYaF1VbfDjLiDEDG_AkfLlrz5StBjEZNsbQFe26v9khw7UVbCATw==.jpg

These pictures are from a few years ago after they sold the car and the new owner did a complete frame off.
First picture is my father standing beside his old car.
It was originally a PS, PB, 283/PG.
He installed a tri-power 348, 4 speed, SS grab bar and console, grille guard, rear bumper guards, aftermarket PS & AC, 4 wheel disc brakes, and got rid of the white top.

I preferred the white top and don't like the rear bumper guards, but it is his car now and he already owns a red/white 1960 that does not have a red top....so now they match. I can't blame him one bit there.

I always wanted this car, but they did not give it to me as it would not have been fair as my brother always wanted it too. He is 9 years older than me and got a '67 Chevelle SS396 for a first car.....so I'd say he did O.K. Since they didn't give me this one they said they would try to find me something similar. We found my Bel Air in Aiken, SC while driving back from taking a load of supplies from our church to Hurricane Hugo victims. So I have to say I did O.K. too!

Hope ya'll enjoy. Jason

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When they sold it....about 8 years ago now I think......it had the 327/300 horse engine that was in my '61 when we got it. Originally from a '63 or '64. I've forgotten which it was. It had a 1962 Corvette aluminum intake and an Edelbrock 600. TH350 transmission had been swapped in decades ago.
The floors needed 4 lower pans. Bottom of front fenders had rust about the size of a silver dollar behind wheels. Interior was in excellent shape, but was red velour instead of the original material. Headliner was original and still perfect. They sold it for $6000. I was heart broken at the time, but it went to a great home and a wonderful owner.

I didn't realize until just now that the grille guard is not shown in the pictures above. He added it shortly afterwards.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Cool to find out the source of your infection.......and to see where it all began,it's amazing how it affects you after so many years.......wished Ida kept with it,and done more with the car bug.......what does your father think of his old ride......???

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
He likes it and is happy it has a good home. The owner wanted it for himself and not to resell. Frankly he spent so much on it that he'd lose money reselling anyway. He left nothing alone. Even all the glass in the car was replaced when it looked fine to me.

Daddy also thinks the top should be white like it originally was. I told him that I understood why the man wants it to match the '60 he already has. Daddy's reply was that he should have painted the top of the '60 white too then. :laugh

Seriously though. The new owner is as nice a guy as you'll meet. I have tried a few times to get him to join us on the forum here with no luck. Lives about an hour away from me.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Daddy also thinks the top should be white like it originally was. I told him that I understood why the man wants it to match the '60 he already has. Daddy's reply was that he should have painted the top of the '60 white too then. :laugh

I can relate!!!