The thrash is on!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks everyone, you all have been a big help. Brian, I feel your pain :cry . There will be no part untouched on my car for Clay City.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Curt recomended 1' open spacers. He said that some cylinders run rich and some run lean with the stock manifold and the spacer helps even things up a bit. But he also said that the fuel distribution's still bad even with the spacers. He also mentioned that he'd tried using taller 2" spacers and they didn't work as well as a 1" spacer. He also mentioned that it wasn't a good idea to hogg out the manifold like some of the single quad Nascar style manifolds that were available. But I was talking to him about a street engine, for all I know the hogged out manifold might work well on a race only set up. I wasn't able to run spacers because my air cleaner hit the hood so I modified the intake instead. Here's a link that shows what I did...http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2753&highlight=manifold+modifications I can't say if it helped or not because I hadn't run the car with the stock manifold.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Got the heads on today, steel shim gaskets, McCords. Used Permatex # 2 for sealer on head bolts and torqued to 70 ft/lbs. Also installed the 7/16" rocker studs and torqued to 55 ft/lbs, used the permatex here too. Dial in the cam tomorrow and install lifters, pushrods, roller rockers and poly locks. Will try and figure out what cam button I need. Cam bearings look good, pulled a rod bearing looks good too. May pull a few more rod bearings and check out a main or two. Great to see the #s 690 looking back at you, ports look huge compaired to the 348 heads. Driiled and tapped the rivet holes that hold the splash pan to the bottom of the intake will use thread locker also. I have a 1" thick sheet phelonic plastic somewhere, if I can find it I will make 1" open spacers for the manifold. As soon as the engine is buttoned up it's on to the rear end then the tranny. Then the small stuff like plumbing the carbs, fuel lines, linkage etc. Got a long way to go and a short time to get there! :beerbang

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
carb spacers

On the subject of spacers, has anyone tried them on a tri power??? Number 61 jets seem to be the most popular with the accelerator nozzles drilled to .034-.036on here for the 348's. Would that be a good size for a 409?? About 9 1/2 to one compression with ported 333 heads, a mild cam, 3200 lb car.

Dave