The truth about guns.....................

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You gotta love Texas! The state of Texas is following New York's lead and released a map of Texas gun owners!

image001.jpg

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Pretty bad when wife mentioned that she'd have no problem moving to Texas in the near future. Just totally crazy......

Dennis

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Bob, that will be fine! We can start my BelAir restoration together!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Heard on WLW radio this morning that with Finesteins gun control proposal, ALL of Congress is exempt! I don''t know, but that is what the commentator said. It figures. :bang

Lonnie

roger c

Well Known Member
Yeah, ya'll come on down to Texas. Life is good here & may even get better. Be sure & bring your guns with you, we like em down here. They help keep the varmitts off your Hot Rod & put a little meat on the table.

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In 1980 a very good friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver. Noticed I didn’t say died in an accident, but was killed by a drunk driver. At the sentencing of the driver for vehicular homicide, the driver’s wife pleaded for parole because her husband and her children’s father was not a “common criminal.” The more I thought about it I realized she was correct, but for the wrong reason. A very small percentage of criminal activity results in death, so she was correct; he was not a common criminal because he had killed someone. The reason I bring this up is because a number of posts and the letter from the AZ sheriff refers to automobile accidents and if we applied the same logic to automobile accidents then we would somehow treat automobiles quite differently. Your memories are quite short! Over the years, the US and its states have passed a number of laws aimed at making automobiles safe and to get drunk drivers off the road. It has been tremendously successful! Deaths rates from automobile accidents and from drunk drivers have been falling like a rock. I also remember the huge stink when seatbelt laws were introduced and when airbags were introduced and how it limited our individual freedom. The battles regarding drunken driving limits, putting drunk drivers in jail were all met with huge resistance. It has been a 40 year battle which introduced changes to automobiles, laws, sentencing of drunk drivers and a change in attitude by most members of our society, some which were effective and some were not. The amazing thing though, those laws and new technologies such a ignition inhibitors to prevent drunks from driving has reduced deaths from drunk driving by 50% in the last 10 years alone! If you take any one of the changes in isolation you could easily say the it didn’t work, but the accumulative effect has been very successful. So if you are really serious about absolutely no new gun laws, then I wouldn’t be using automobile accidents as a example because even though we might have different opinions about gun laws, I think we can all agree that our 50 year old 348/409 autos are a lot different than one we would buy new today. So would progressives ban all cars as implied by an earlier post? With respect to automobiles it seems they looked at a problem and started passing legislation to solve the problem, much of it was fought tooth and nail. As a farm kid from Iowa that grew up with a 7 shot bolt action .410 that I had to switch to a 3 shot bolt action .410 when I was about 14 years old I look at this problem in the same light as the drunk driving problem. Assuming continued drops in automobile deaths and deaths from drunk drivers, gun related deaths will exceed automobile related deaths in the next few years. Something has to be and will be done whether we like it or not. I would rather have a say in the solution and have something I can live with and has a true impact.

GLM409

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In 1980 a very good friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver. Noticed I didn’t say died in an accident, but was killed by a drunk driver. At the sentencing of the driver for vehicular homicide, the driver’s wife pleaded for parole because her husband and her children’s father was not a “common criminal.” The more I thought about it I realized she was correct, but for the wrong reason. A very small percentage of criminal activity results in death, so she was correct; he was not a common criminal because he had killed someone. The reason I bring this up is because a number of posts and the letter from the AZ sheriff refers to automobile accidents and if we applied the same logic to automobile accidents then we would somehow treat automobiles quite differently. Your memories are quite short! Over the years, the US and its states have passed a number of laws aimed at making automobiles safe and to get drunk drivers off the road. It has been tremendously successful! Deaths rates from automobile accidents and from drunk drivers have been falling like a rock. I also remember the huge stink when seatbelt laws were introduced and when airbags were introduced and how it limited our individual freedom. The battles regarding drunken driving limits, putting drunk drivers in jail were all met with huge resistance. It has been a 40 year battle which introduced changes to automobiles, laws, sentencing of drunk drivers and a change in attitude by most members of our society, some which were effective and some were not. The amazing thing though, those laws and new technologies such a ignition inhibitors to prevent drunks from driving has reduced deaths from drunk driving by 50% in the last 10 years alone! If you take any one of the changes in isolation you could easily say the it didn’t work, but the accumulative effect has been very successful. So if you are really serious about absolutely no new gun laws, then I wouldn’t be using automobile accidents as a example because even though we might have different opinions about gun laws, I think we can all agree that our 50 year old 348/409 autos are a lot different than one we would buy new today. So would progressives ban all cars as implied by an earlier post? With respect to automobiles it seems they looked at a problem and started passing legislation to solve the problem, much of it was fought tooth and nail. As a farm kid from Iowa that grew up with a 7 shot bolt action .410 that I had to switch to a 3 shot bolt action .410 when I was about 14 years old I look at this problem in the same light as the drunk driving problem. Assuming continued drops in automobile deaths and deaths from drunk drivers, gun related deaths will exceed automobile related deaths in the next few years. Something has to be and will be done whether we like it or not. I would rather have a say in the solution and have something I can live with and has a true impact.

GLM409

Nice try , but cars and driving are not specified in the constitution.......

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess the point I was trying to make wasn't clear. I believe the AZ Sherriff's statement regarding autos is a bad analogy and incorrect. To quote the AZ Sherriff, "America has seen an even higher number of our citizens killed by impaired drivers involved in automobile collisions. Why are you not seeking to remove vehicles from our roadways? ... it’s because you realize it’s the drivers who are at fault and not the vehicle they were driving." The old autos weren't taken away, but you can't buy anything like the older autos. On the other hand, a significant number of regulations have been added to make vehicles safer (heavier, slower, more expensive, more difficult to work on, more expensive to repair, ...), rules for auto-repair people working on the vehicles, more difficult to import vehicles that don't adhere to those standards, easier for people to lose their license if they don't follow the rules, more difficult to get a license if you have a history of not following the rules, more police patrols to watch for people not following the rules, no more "go cups!", holding bartenders liable for serving people that went out and then drove a vehicle, and that just scratches the surface. As much as we like to bluster how "They aren't taking going to take our guns!" in reality they aren't proposing to take our guns, but they are going down a similar path that was taken with the automobile industry regarding safety and drunk driving. Since I believe additional regulations are inevitable, I'd rather have a say in the solution. For example, when the stock broke on my .410 I could only buy a new stock that fit the 3 shells. The gunsmith couldn't work on it unless he converted to 3 shot and there were probably other rules that I didn't know of since it was over 40 years ago. So new regulations might get passed that doesn't make it illegal to own certain models of guns, but you can't buy parts to repair, gunsmiths aren't allowed to repair, manufacturers aren't allowed to sell the parts in the US, the parts are illegal to import and so on. So, they didn't take away your guns, but are you happy?

GLM409

P.S. I still have my .410 bolt action shotgun, along with my father's pump 12 guage, my grandfather's 16 guage and my great grandfather's double barrell 12 guage which is at least 120 years old.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
In 1975 a family friend I had known since childhood picked up a gun and blew her brains out.

I never blamed the gun.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Drugs are illegal and I don't see that bothering the criminals. So what makes you think that gun laws will change what the criminals do.The laws will just make it easier for criminals as the law abiding citizens will not be armed as well as they are.It will also create a huge black market for any gun to cross the mexican border, hell we can't keep illegals out of our country.