Thermostat Temp question

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In Texas…..big Walker Radiator with AC(soon I hope)……automatic transmission……

180 or 160 temp thermostat?

Thanks Fellas!

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I live in the San Antonio area & have Walker radiators in my hot rods with SBCs and TH350's. One has a separate trans cooler & one is run to the radiator trans lines. Both run 180 degree thermostats, although I have drilled a 1/16" hole in the thermostat plates to aid flow. I also use electric fans in both cars with thermostatic On/Off trigger points for the fans.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What engine? What car?
Just a note on cooling a SBC in a hotrod, it is way easier to cool than a 409. A small block is no problem
My deuce is a 409-425 scaled up and a 5 speed. All of the correct stuff including a full shroud and engine driven fan, factory bypass, and mid height truck water pump.
I ran a 180 with 2 X 1/8 holes and it liked to run at 195-200 on the freeway depending on outside temp and surge in town. On warm days in stop and go CA traffic it was normal to see 225*+. Very slow to come back down.

To make a long story short, I installed a US made Robert Shaw 160 with several 1/8" holes and now it likes to sit at 180 to185 on the freeway. Slower to warm up but no more surge. In traffic now 200 tops and comes down quick.

Last edited:

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
37 Chevy coupe.
409 stroker with big Walker Radiator and big SPAL fan from Cooling Components.
I have put a 180 in it and will see how it acts….may need to drill a few holes or maybe go with your 160 with holes……
Texas heat can be brutal…..I get pretty anxious when it’s crawling above 200.