Thinking about a 5 speed again !

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well after the 1600 mile round trip to Eureka, I'm dreaming about a 5 speed again. I looked into the Keisler again yesterday ($2299) with some accessories. Would still need to modify the rear support and drive line, which is troubling for me, because I can weld a hole in a good piece of metal !! They are running about two months behind for orders, but that's not a problem, because I wouldn't do it until this winter anyway.

I took the tach out of Ms Bela last year, because it quit working, so I don't know what the RPMs were while driving eight hours across Nevada and Oregon, but 3300 (+) is my guess. Got almost 14 mpg on two different fill-ups and can really imagine maybe 16 mpg with the overdrive ?

Has anyone done the Keisler change over ??? How does it work, and how hard to make the change ?? One thing I really don't want to do is modify the floor pan...

Bill

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Don't know about the Keisler but Kim put a Tremic 5 speed in his 63 and says he loves it, wished he had done it earlier, since he has 3.73 rear the OD makes a big difference. Pat

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:D Bill I did a mid 70's Corvette. I bought a kit complete to convert from Auto to 5 speed. It came with every last piece to do the job right, including drive shaft. There were 2 parts problems when I opened the packages and they fixed them in one day and credited the credit card for the price of the 2 parts. I don't know about Miss Bela and floor clearance but if a tremic goes then the Kiesler should work. You could check to see if a kit is available and would take the guess work out for you.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
just had a rs500 from keisler put in a vehicle. i am happy with it. did not like the tko, seemed like a gated shifter
to me. the rs tranny shifts smooth like a muncie only a shorter throw and tighter. the tremec i think is a three rail system and the rs is two. jim

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We put a Tremec 5 speed in Jim's Impala a few years back. (Jim409_Pontiac)
It works great. The overdrive is terrific on the highway.
The only thing I'd say bad about it is that it's big so you have to cut the floor. The one we used also had an early style offset shift linkage to work with the Super Sport shift plate. It's a little loose feeling but I think Keisler makes a better offset shifter.
I thought I remembered reading about a new five speed that Keisler sells that's a little smaller. That might be even better but regular TKO is great too.
Here's a link to a post I did when we installed it.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/tremec-5-speed-swap.3149/

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
just had a rs500 from keisler put in a vehicle. i am happy with it. did not like the tko, seemed like a gated shifter
to me. the rs tranny shifts smooth like a muncie only a shorter throw and tighter. the tremec i think is a three rail system and the rs is two. jim

I didn't read this post properly before posting but I'm guessing this is the new, more compact transmission. That might be the one you're looking at. It sounds good.

mac1

Well Known Member
just had a rs500 from Keisler put in a vehicle. i am happy with it. did not like the tko, seemed like a gated shifter

I'd like to know what you think of that 3.37 1st gear in that rs500? Sounds pretty steep to me almost like a granny gear. What is your rear end ratio? The rs600 has the close ratio 2.80 1st which I'm leaning towards.
How do you like the .67 OD? If Keisler ever get them into mass production, I will get on.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A 5 speed would make life much better for you Nuts! The OD gearing would make Ms Bella VERY happy on the open road and cut down on the cab noise to boot.
I run the 5 speed with the 2 speed OD/UD and I love it! When I took it out on the freeway for a run let's just say a vette owner is still trying to figure out how an old 60 Chevy beat him to OR.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
this rs500 is not that small. i put it in a 63 vette behind a ls3 480. i went for the steep first because i have the
3.36 rear. i lost the ash tray in the vehicle. because the tranny was too big under the ash tray. i have not been on
the freeway yet. i have a few issues. need the fly by wire gas pedal lowered. sits too high for me (long legs). also
we have to sync the ac with the elec fans, because the compressor is getting too much pressure. all i can say, is
i love the combo and do not see why anyone would want more hp in this vehicle. in fact, i am leaving this to my
grandson and i hope i live a long time. it is too much for a young man who does not know how to drive.
the tranny is very nice. jim

ps. i know the tko is a good tranny. in fact my builder prefers the tko. how ever i grew up on
the muncie and bw tranny. too me, the rs feels more like those trannys than the tko. the tko
i had, was notchy.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mac1 said:
What is your rear end ratio?

I'm running 3:08 right now, so the RS500 would make it seem like a 4:11 for launch, which would be good.

Tic said:
A 5 speed would make life much better for you Nuts! The OD gearing would make Ms Bella VERY happy

Mike, that's what I'm thinking too. Cruising at 3300 (+) right now at "my" freeway speed, is too much...

Bill

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 3.27 first I run makes for some fun! Just make sure and run the numbers and make sure the manufacture can providse what you want not what they have. If your going to change 3k for a transmission you better have the stuff to back it up.

At 75 I am not even touching 2700 :-)

I'm running 3:08 right now, so the RS500 would make it seem like a 4:11 for launch, which would be good.

Mike, that's what I'm thinking too. Cruising at 3300 (+) right now at "my" freeway speed, is too much...

Bill

mac1

Well Known Member
Bill, I also have 3.08 gears, but have a set of 3.36 gears I can swap out if necessary. I can live with a 4.11 first gear launch with the 3.37, :beer but what about the .67 OD gear with 3.08's? At 70 mph you would be turning 1800 rpms,(27" tall tire).
Do you think the engine would bog down and a hill?

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mac said:
but what about the .67 OD gear with 3.08's? At 70 mph you would be turning 1800 rpms,(27" tall tire).

Mac, I have though about that too, but figured I can always pull her down into 4th if needed for a long pull. Cruising at around 2K should give me the long haul capabilities I'm looking for, but also some improved gas milage ? The main reason, I'm looking at the RS is no modification of the floor pan. Not because I don't want to make changes, but because I don't have the tool or skills to make these changes. I will have to hire someone to do the rear mount because I can't weld at all...

Bill

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i had l79 that could cruise around 1800rpms. did not lug. 66 corvette. jim

mac1

Well Known Member
Mac, I have though about that too, but figured I can always pull her down into 4th if needed for a long pull. Cruising at around 2K should give me the long haul capabilities I'm looking for, but also some improved gas milage ? The main reason, I'm looking at the RS is no modification of the floor pan. Not because I don't want to make changes, but because I don't have the tool or skills to make these changes. I will have to hire someone to do the rear mount because I can't weld at all...
Bill

Yea, I'm with you on the easy change out. I think I'm going to get the rs600. I like the 280 first gear and higher torque rating. They quoted me around 3000.00 for the kit which included everything except the crossmember which they don't offer.
I have access to a 700r4 crossmember that I think might work with a little modification. I understand they are really backed up on getting these transmissions out. Some guys have been waiting for over 10 months.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i ordered my tranny in early feb, builder rec'd it first of aug. jim

mac1

Well Known Member
i ordered my tranny in early feb, builder rec'd it first of aug. jim

I believe you got the rs500. I understand the rs600 has a longer wait. There was a problem with one of the vendors not delivering something on time.

mac1

Well Known Member
I emailed Keisler about the RS 500 and 600 and heres the response I got. Looks like its going to be a while.

Hello, how long is the build time for the rs500 and rs600 transmissions?? If I ordered today, when would it be shipped??? Thank you.

one more thing, would a 308 rear in a 409/409hp 62 Impala work with the .67 OD gears??

RS500 is about 2.5 to 3 months and the RS600 is a solid 6 months. I would recommend something closer to 3.55 for best all around performance.

Christopher Hale
Technical Sales
Keisler Engineering, Inc.
2250 Stock Creek Blvd.
Rockford TN 37853
865-609-8187 x 211
Chris.hale@keislerauto.com
KEISLER …the #1 Selling Overdrive Transmission with over 14,000 Sold
Keisler WebSite KeislerTV Videos Newsletter & Specials Facebook

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ordered the rs500 for my Camaro in April they told me then the wait would be about 2 months. I'm still waiting and have been told it wont be until the end of October before it's shipped:bat wish they would have told me that in the beggining I would have replaced the clutch in the car ( what started all of this ) thrown the Muncie back in and enjoyed my car for the season and then put the new trans in when it came. Ken