Thinking about a stroker short block, going rate for a block?

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I must be getting bored. My truck block 409 with Eddy heads has been fun but I have the itch for more, like building a stroker short block and transferring my heads and intake over. What are you guys seeing truck blocks priced at? With my work travel between Oklahoma and Texas i'm seeing several complete engines. Not what i'm looking for, no bare blocks. Was hoping to spend ~$1500.

ABLVV85-aYdq_Mgk2QGURePn7sDeTnEopOdhPM6nFuEE1P6zWz7l28JsmDDfcogo86vcSsgXqAdnYGwHZ6w2TKd4AriQxoALzFPDsR7d4iQOYXlrnUGsZ48KK5IXvS9BSFlGbUFEnt2h3fuu4kl1rsdOZs0vgPwCjBDpE9GfmQBfWdEdXDd5hDpQmlR4tcRFVWOR0MoL4_1lwbqzmY2uJ_uG8u2g4Ua-LUmRRJohbjp8TogXrPyoChneVAqDbaM9cN93Sns6efNy15U5rdBW138TDWXE4z5QjXdG7kzeaFRckddBxrRFU0w9LKXj_0OuZP3yQo9CGBvJJHNyvg75MOGt6VvO_tJCdHH0OUziatEZOQElNjJrUVmxBHBqFqdTB5CS7EsWpzrzoLxR_jhVOmpsEQjLer5ZP763rNR5ekqX3-eFMQDV0B-C44XU7SHL3wY6ZtUDGytligjFuuqxcdQpbnS2G-URFzu_xeqdb_6Z2l-JXlJNp2yhNVo6MiuG3PH3eWmPqL5lw0W4BpcclLVmIwEzsHlgbP8PbyQkKO4500SKPTBRmaU1A6BUu7EtSIhJHwbNe-CfPUe7sMwTLIQtNBEz6QGZFGkkwOul-WLtEh40eefnR_BLaGzyXdONp__up0nBOOV151HrhBBnu90r1mdCIyhNHXZPKxluSzKysdVQOqrwrFoaW0e6uamcQt-TVLATcWusaH6sGmyrqLyX1l2smgE_urueruvkp2B2m2g84i5VxlJ9lvV-0535mUaXeq03JtVd2TpmMNMZuXmn18L1m7vKSDn8Z6VbUytTclAjvamiKQdWjNl8bzSoz_KYZmWxrTCyn-bQzRDP97wt9-ZGfnPxq2KKAxXdeHqd7f_z0SPi0jJXKa_m9zWOwkc_UWwkZ3JqQv0MjVSjzF3QhWA=w1223-h879-s-no-gm

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There out there, but the $1000 engines are few & far between. If your building a stroker and buy a complete truck engine, the only things you will use will be the block, timing cover & possibly the oil pan. 4" strokers are easy peasy. Nice 61! Happy hunting!
Jeff

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Eagle I think I got form Showcars then. It had a LOT of journal taper (me and my Chinese mikes even picked it up) and had to have it turned 0.010/0.010. Eagle had some issues back then with all their cranks Chevy and Pontiac. 6.385 rods

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I think the early Eagle cranks were really machined in China but "polished" here so they could say machined in US. Man were the journals shiny! A polishing belt is soft and flexible so that is what my crank guy thought they did.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I would have sent mine back but I had already had it balanced. Another of my Pontiac cranks we had to turn as filet was not wide enough and they did not make narrow bearings then.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had all kinds of issue with my eagle from years ago. The last one I measured was actually really good. I had heard they improved. As said above, they were rough machined in China and polished here to final size which is why they were inconsistent with out of round, taper, hour glass shape etc. Though the journals have improved on the Eagle, the Scat is still a nicer piece. Better transition from the filet to the cheek and journal surface and also the webbing has more material making it a stronger piece. And then there is counterweight shape/placement that I suspect is better. The downside is they often need heavy metal to balance which means $$$.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I've been sitting on 348 block for a few years. I haven't considered that but it's definitely an option!

Here's a deal on a stroker crank. Maybe a massaged 454 crank? Ebay Crank

427John

Well Known Member
I had a 454 crank that was already .040 under and I considered going to the SBC journal, but it cleaned up at .050 and I was able to find some bearings.