This is for Cecil

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Cecil,
Just saw CNN at the barber shop. They were reporting on one of the F-15 crashes. I think from last Nov. The aircraft broke into two parts after some high G's turns. The Air Force said the airframe spilt between the engines and the cockpit. The pilot only had a broken arm in the mishap. One lucky guy if you ask me. I see in the report they have now grounded 150 others so they can check for cracks.
Do you fly guys think about that sort of thing when you climb aboard?

Now that I think back to me service days. Maybe it was better being a ground pounder.

Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
These things are so overengineered it is not normally a problem. They are stress tested to failure during development and tracked throughout their service life for signs of problems. Occassionally some problems show up which may be a defect in materials or design but usually are attributed to failing to comply with operating limitations. The C-130 had a wing structural problem that was discovered in the early 80's and certain models were limited in gross weight and G loading until the wings could be reworked. We never lost one during that period that I'm aware of but it did limit our operational capability somewhat....mostly in moderate to severe turbulence. You get yourself into the right thunderstorm and it can rip any airplane apart. That was always my main concern to avoid getting into a situation that you can't get out of. I've flown in many hurricanes and typhoons but a good old thunderstorm over Kansas will kick your a**.:eek:
I hadn't heard about the F-15 problems. I've been so busy helping my son convert his 51 Fleetline fastback to 350 with 700R4 that I haven't been watching the news.