Thompson 2010 Comments.

Bomar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I forgot to add something, anyone want to buy some good Trap guns ?:D

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I didnt know you own Fred's car now Bo...........good for you and the car.
i had the fortune to drive that car with Fred on board at Norwalk. I miss him and am happy the car is in your hands.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We were all happy to see that Bo got Fred's car. I thought it was great that Cubby passed it on to Bo rather than just looking for the highest bidder on E-bay.

It was Bo's first time racing in years but he was pounding through the gears just like a pro after a couple of runs. I think he went two or three rounds into the eliminations.

I'm sorry I didn't get to see Dick's new car run. He got sidelined with a transmission shifter issue sometime before the eliminations began.

Seeing DQ there was a big surprise, I think he had a good time!:beerbang

Seeing Hayden and the tribute car was great! By the way, that car is really, really, nice and it's for sale.

I don't know if anybody tried to count the number of 348/409 cars but I think there was a lot. There were quite a few guys that aren't board members that had just heard about the event and decided to come.
It was cool seeing Clyde Waldo make it from Missouri in his 409 powered T bird and the trike with the 425hp 409 was also cool. By the way I caught a glimpse of that trike on television last night, it was coverage of some big bike rally.

The weather forecast was pretty bad but there were still quite a few spectators. There was a good crowd lining the fences when the 348/409 eliminations were running.
Our group keeps getting bigger, we had a great turnout in spite of the bad weather forecast.:beerbang

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I liked the T-bird

I talked to Clyde about the 409 Bird. He is still the Hot Rodder of old. I can spend a lot of time looking at cars assembled the way the T-bird was. Nice job Clyde.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thompson 2010 Comments

I had a great time this past weekend renewing old friendships and making new friendships, it is
unbelievable that so many people with different backgrounds can come together and have a fun filled weekend.
All because of a MOTOR.:bow:cheers
For those of you that where in need of parts, tires, advise, or whatever
it is my nature to help, I can't help for the consequence of my actions,(Right Brian). All joking aside I had a blast.
Thank you Ray for all the effort that you put into making this event happen.
And to all the other unnamed individuals for there input.:clap:clap:clap
Allen

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I had a GREAT time at Thompson. We picked Ronnie and Virginia up at the airport thursday afternoon and as soon as we got home he was ready to tune th 62. I pulled the valve covers and he adjusted 2 valves, reinstalled the valve covers and closed the hood. I never turned a screw or checked timing all weekend. All I had to do was keep 16 1/2# of air in each rear tire, the car operated flawlessly during two days of racing. Thanks to Ray for a delicious turkey club sandwich and fruit bowl, a perfrct lunch. Brian, next year you're going to have to go to Summit by yourself. I thought we could zoom down there and back, I didn't know you were going to go window shopping for an hour and then you still forgot to pick up that flywheel in the scratch and dent corner. Except for the rain that arrived about 15 minutes too early it was a great weekend and I got to meet some great new people and renew old friendships, it don't get any better.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
First, I want to apoligize to Allen George, Alan and Dick Mackenzie, and all the racers and members in attendance at the drivers meeting Sat. afternoon. I should have never requested a vote on the use of my delay box. I realized I was asking friends to choose sides and thats not cool. There is no place for these devices in the type of racing that we do at this event and I am truely sorry for trying to shove it down everyones throat. Please Forgive. Second, I had a great time meeting new people and seeing old friends. I felt bad for all the racers that came from so far away or just down the road and had issues with there cars. I wished that we could have gotten the finals of the race in but mother nature didn't allow it. Thanks To All For A Great Weekend. Barry Taylor

Bomar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I turned a best of 12.35 @ 109. Got treed and spanked real good by Bo in his fine 63. Bo said he was rusty then pulled an .08 light to my .38. :? I Could not have lost to a nicer guy, way to go Bo. :clap I had a great time meeting with friends. I still did not meet everyone there but made some new friends. Time to start planning next year. Allen George had the Blue Screamer in a new set of britches. The car looks great Allen. It was a treat to see Hayden again, what a great guy with a fine sense of humor. Good to see Doug Marion also, heck of a nice guy. My thanks to everyone who attended. Maybe we can make this the 409 nationals and have someone ride in on our coat tails instead. Lots of stories to tell at a later date, I'm out on my feet right now. Had a flat on the right rear trailer tire coming home, made it all the way though. Tire shredded, I can't tell when it went flat. someone had to point it out to me when I was only feet from my own driveway. I could have been driving miles with it flat, the Duramax diesel will pull the trailer with no tires I think! We had some stunning show cars this year just as last year, and a great place to show them. Thanks guys. I personally came home with a pair of aluminum heads a 409 crank and a new set of slicks.

Regards, Ray
Fathead Racing.

Ray, Thanks for the comments. But just to keep the records correct that was a
.0203 light I got against you:dunno. You know Fred would not be happy with me if I let you 60 foot his car:cheers I will be in touch with you about Norwalk. Bo

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
First, I want to apoligize to Allen George, Alan and Dick Mackenzie, and all the racers and members in attendance at the drivers meeting Sat. afternoon.

Barry,

I know I also speak for my son when I say no apology is necessary. We should have hashed the issue out on the board before going to Thompson.

If anyone is interested in how it happened that Barry got the bye run, Allan was standing in the front of the staging lanes with the track manager, Jim. Allan was facing the cars and Jim had his back to the lanes. Allan said "I need a bye run in this lane" pointing over Jim's shoulder. Without looking back Jim said "Third Car". That was Barry!

Congrats to everyone who went to the finals!! :clap:clap:clap

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did any one take videos??? I still watch last years .I wish I could have been there for bolth years. some pics and videos would make my eyes water, please bring them on!!!!!!!!!

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
No longer a Thompson want-a-be.

I talked to Clyde about the 409 Bird. He is still the Hot Rodder of old. I can spend a lot of time looking at cars assembled the way the T-bird was. Nice job Clyde.

I too extend a big thank you to all that put so much time & effort into making Thompson a memorable event. Ellen & I really enjoyed meeting the members and looking at all the cars. My old T-Bird is mostly with home-made items; motor mounts, headers, altenator mounts, drive shaft, wiring modifications, etc. (Back in the mid/late sixtys there wasn't much store-bought equipment available.)

The old T-Bird with the hurry-up assembled (so we could attend Thompson) 409 truck engine made it from Missouri to Thompson with out any trouble. On the way home after driving about 10 hours the engine died just before we crossed the Missouri River. Turned out to be the used ebay electric fuel pump stopped working. I turned the ignition switch to on and gave the pump a good whack and it started working again so I :pray jumped in & started the engine before the points burned & drove on & in another hour and a half we were home.

Now I have time to think about what to do about next year if we are able to attend - do I bring the T-Bird again or put a stroker 409 engine in my 1962 Impala? The Impala is not very nice looking and apt to stay that way. Maybe the stroker in the T-Bird & the truck engine from the T-Bird in the Impala. Food for thought.

Hope that everyone got home safely. Can't believe some drove as far as you did!

Clyde & Ellen

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thompson meet

Like everyone else has said, It was a awesome weekend met alot of great people, renewed some old friendships , but there are still alot that I haven't got to meet. I have to say I really admire those of you that travel the long distances to get there. I can't tell you how bad it sucks that I didn't get my car ready in time, but something all of you in the cars missed was when you lined up to start eliminations I was up on the bridge and boy was that a sight seeing and hearing all those 09's rolling into the staging lanes.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, I'm home and BEAT!!!!

What a trip!! What a GREAT bunch of friends!!!

Got 455 pictures and videos to sort through and post!!!:doh

All I can say was it was a great event,, and we have some of the finest cars around!!
From the very fast !! To the beautiful cars !!

Then the beautiful FAST cars!!!

Just amazing!!!

One more trip of a life time to remember,,,,,,dq:cheers

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, great to see you made it all the way from Portland! I really miss all of you and have vowed that nothing will stop me for next year...Can't wait to see pics. :cool:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well darn, another yr and i wasnt able to make it :cry dadgum work, so overrated these days. Well congrats to my dad for getting as far as he did, in case yall didnt know, he IS my hero and i can only hope i get his bada** racing skills. Hes so good at what he does. Its unfortunate that they werent able to get the final round run fair and square, stinkin mother nature:takethat Make sure yall post up pics so i can kick myself even harder in the butt for not being able to make it. Next yr you can count racergurl in, FOR SURE:cool:

The only reason you weren't there is your dad wanted to keep me away from you!!!:doh:roll:D

The stories about the people IS the story as said!!
When you finally meet anyone from this forum the first time in person it is like greeting an old friend!!!:cheers

Can't say enough about the quality of the members of this group!!!!

Thanks for giving me one more "life`s greatests moments" again!!:clap

Some day I'll make out to that beautiful area of our great country with my 62 or even maybe the `09 powered Rambler!!!

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wheres Denny

Denny Ford,,, I know your here looking. Look what Jerry McNeish did to us........set new D/STOCk nat record 10.45 @ 126.+ mph 302 ci . 1x 4bbl , man . Car tear down was perfect. Lost your info give me a e-mail. How can these STOCK guys do this without strokers and cubes. Mike:dunno

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8

Bob Thompson sent me this, I don't think he's a member here but I'm sure he won't mind me posting this.

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Pictures

Here are a few more pictures for all to enjoy. The first is Flamin' Phil Reed and Hayden Proffitt keenly watching Doug Marion make a pass with Harold's recreation of Hayden's car, shown in second picture. The third one is of Bo making a fine pass in Fred's car. That car is finally where she belongs (no disrespect to Cubby, he also did the right thing)! Last one is of Carl making a pass.
Steven

Attachments

• Flamin' Phil.jpg
    Flamin' Phil.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Doug Racing.jpg
    Doug Racing.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Fred's car.jpg
    Fred's car.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Carl Launch.jpg