Thoughts on D-Day

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Our valiant men began the effort to end the war. God bless them. Revere their memory.

Thanks for posting! I knew a very brave and courageous fellow about 20-25 years ago that had gone ashore at Omaha Beach, I'll never forget him or the look on his face when I thanked him for the sacrifice he made that day.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The WW1 & WW2 graveyards in Europe are full of young men high school age and not much older. Hundreds of thousands who never came home.

Don

bobs409

Administrator
I wonder why the government didn't provide those guys with some type of shield instead of just running out into open gun fire? Maybe I'm just thinking in hind sight but it would have saved MANY! :dunno

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The art of war has changed over time.
War is and will be HELL and always HELL.
If any good has come from war, one could find very little, it would be in the medical field.
If the medical field hadn't been great in 1968, I for one wouldn't be here today.
As someone has said the USA has been the world police force for generations.
Unfortunately that will not change in the future.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My dad was in the 101 st and in Bastogne during the the battle of the bulge.
I am very lucky to be here.
When he was station in Germany we moved there and I went to my first three years of school there.
I remember him showing us what was left of the bridge that was the last one over the Rhine river the Patton made it across to help the troops in Bastogne before the Germans blew it up.
Dad went back for the 50th anniversary and said the people of Bastogne praised the American soldiers.
Not what you see around here now.

I miss him.
RIP Dad

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My dad was in the 101 st and in Bastogne during the the battle of the bulge.
I am very lucky to be here.
When he was station in Germany we moved there and I went to my first three years of school there.
I remember him showing us what was left of the bridge that was the last one over the Rhine river the Patton made it across to help the troops in Bastogne before the Germans blew it up.
Dad went back for the 50th anniversary and said the people of Bastogne praised the American soldiers.
Not what you see around here now.

I miss him.
RIP Dad

Another tough SOB that fought to keep us free James.

Someone spoke about the cemetery's in Europe where our Soldiers are buried. The USA Benchrest Team in 2011 of which I was a part of, went to the Hamm Cemetery in Luxembourg. It was one hell of a moving experience.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
On Memorial day 1989, I was part of a service that took place at the cemetery in Luxembourg. A photographer from Airman magazine took my picture, in my service dress, in front of Patton's grave; I thought it was very cool.
We were stationed at Bitburg Germany, right in the heart of the battle of the Bulge. We used to go to St. Vith Belguim for the Nuts festival, it was named for the commander who replied "Nuts" when asked to surrender just before Christmas of 1944. On Christmas eve of '44 Bitburg was declared a dead town.