Throttle blade sealer substitute

mailman

Well Known Member
The rear carb on my tri power 348 is sucking air. In spite of my best efforts, I can't get the throttle butterflys to seal off inside the throttle. There is a tiny bit of light coming through. I can't find any DAG213 or whatever Gm called their fix for a sealer.
Has anyone used anything else successfully as a sealer for the plates in their 2 barrel Rochesters?
Engine runs good on just the center carb. But I need to fix this vacuum leak before I connect the gas line to the rear carb cause I am sure it will also start pulling in extra gas then and mess it up.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If they are mechanical secondary's it would work for sure. The dag sealer tends to make the throttle blades a little sticky. I think it would work in either case.

jeff hall

Well Known Member
I had this same issue a while back and was given this fix. Take the base off so you have just the base and butterflies. Get some valve lapping compound and apply it to the barrel and edges of butterflies. Rapidly open and close while making sure you have compound in place. It won't take very long and they will be seated. Check for day light when clean and you will be surprised how quick it works. It worked on both of mine and I didn't have to try some gooy sealer.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I find it hard to believe that this stuff actually works. Are we talking sealing the blades or the shafts?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It would have to be pretty darn sticky to not let go and also impervious to gasoline. Not very many things can withstand gasoline for long.

mailman

Well Known Member
It would have to be pretty darn sticky to not let go and also impervious to gasoline. Not very many things can withstand gasoline for long.

Well, from what I have read, the GM engineers at the factory said to use it so if its good enough for GM then its good enough for me. I just ordered some, thanks again for the link.