Throwout bearing or pilot bearing?

BLBATESDC

Hey all,
When I bought my '61, the T10 had a horrible whine in gear. While I was replacing the rear main seal, I took out the transmission and had it rebuilt. It turns out there was a bearing that was shot, and the needle bearings had welded themselves to the outer race of the bearing. It tore up the one of the shafts, so that had to be turned down, and then a hardened cap was placed over it. After all was put back together, I took it out for a quick test drive, and the horrible whine was completely gone, but was replaced by a faint soft whine, only when the clutch is out. As engine RPM increases, so does the whine. I have read a little on the topic, and it just confused me more. Do I have an issue with the throwout bearing or the pilot bearing? Does the trans need to come back out to fix this?
All advice is much appreciated.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Hey all,
When I bought my '61, the T10 had a horrible whine in gear. While I was replacing the rear main seal, I took out the transmission and had it rebuilt. It turns out there was a bearing that was shot, and the needle bearings had welded themselves to the outer race of the bearing. It tore up the one of the shafts, so that had to be turned down, and then a hardened cap was placed over it. After all was put back together, I took it out for a quick test drive, and the horrible whine was completely gone, but was replaced by a faint soft whine, only when the clutch is out. As engine RPM increases, so does the whine. I have read a little on the topic, and it just confused me more. Do I have an issue with the throwout bearing or the pilot bearing? Does the trans need to come back out to fix this?
All advice is much appreciated.
For clarification, when you say clutch is out, you mean pedal pushed or released? Does the whine occur with the car stationary or moving?

BLBATESDC

It makes noise when the pedal is released, and it makes noise when the car is sitting in neutral AND moving.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
It makes noise when the pedal is released, and it makes noise when the car is sitting in neutral AND moving.
I think you can rule out both the throw out and pilot. With the clutch pedal released, the throw out slows to a stop and the input shaft speeds up to the same speed as the flywheel so the pilot does no work. If the whine is present all the time and not just immediately after releasing the clutch the noise is in the trans...
If it was the throw out or pilot the noise would be on pushing the pedal and immediately after releasing it.

One other thing to rule out is that the clutch pedal free play is adjusted correctly. If not, the throw out might remain engaged slightly even with the pedal released and could explain the faint whine from it continuing to spin.

Last edited:

BLBATESDC

Ahhh.... I was really hoping to be done with trans work. I'm going to take it to the guy that built the trans and take him for a drive to see what he thinks.

Thanks for the input!