Tie Rod Assy

60biscayne409

Well Known Member
Hi, can anyone tell me , is that normal , the tie rod at the back , when i bolt that tie rod its seem that my car lean to much on one side , i never check that before is that normal or i did something wrong, i notice that the shaft where the shock bolt on are not the same , one is longer , can that be the problem are the rod is to short , i never notice that before when the tie rod was there , thats bogging me, thanks for your help.
60biscayne409

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Are you talking about the Panhard bar that stabilizes and centers the third member at the rear?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
mounts are not equal

Different lengths

Attachments

• shock mount.jpg
    shock mount.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 59

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Rh & Lh

What models said is correct. The long one is for the driver's side and the short one is passenger's side. Both have flat spots on the shaft so they could only be installed one way. It also keeps the shaft from turning when tightening up the nut and washer. Sometimes when taking them out, if the nut is too tight, you could probaly strip the flat spot off and then the shock mount would just spin.

Hope this helps.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Repop rear shock bolts

I can answer that question. Yes they make repop of the rear lower shock bolts. Harmons, Luttys, SC, Cars, They all sell them. About 35-40 bucks for the pair, I just bought a pair.

Toms63SSQB

60biscayne409

Well Known Member
First thanks You guys for your respond, i check the bolt where the shock bolt on and the long one is on the driver side , so that should be ok , as for the bar millhiss its must be the stab bar, in the book they call it the rear suspension tie rod , you know what when i took it apart i never check that if the body of my car was to much on one side like that , and when i take the bar out the body of the car come straight .
I just mesure tire to the side of the rear fender passenger side its 6inch and driver side its 5 inch so i think there a problem there and thats bugging me , maybe i should made that tie rod 1 inch longer , can someone check is car if its the same lol, maybe its normal. my car is a 1960 biscayne 2 doors , thanks.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I believe that is called the panhard bar and it almost sounds like you have the wrong one installed on your car.:dunno Something is sure out of whack, you don't want it dog tracking down the road. Maybe somebody in the group can tell you how long that bar is supposed to be center to center. Good luck

Tom

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe that is called the panhard bar and it almost sounds like you have the wrong one installed on your car.:dunno Something is sure out of whack, you don't want it dog tracking down the road. Maybe somebody in the group can tell you how long that bar is supposed to be center to center. Good luck

Tom

I think we went over this on a thread that you started. Check out this thread...

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8878

60biscayne409

Well Known Member
Ok thanks , i will check again that bar , and i will check that thread that tripower said.
60biscayne409
1941 chev2 doors
1963 2 doors fairlane
1974 challenger 383 mag
1960 biscayne2 doors 409

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok thanks , i will check again that bar , and i will check that thread that tripower said.

Why not get a new adjustable one ???:dunno
If you change the ride height at all with a stock non-adjustable one you will throw off the alignment. ,,dq

60biscayne409

Well Known Member
You guys are right , i will try to get one like tripower . i hope they ship to canada , am still looking for the tail pipe for my 409 ,i look everywhere for those tailpipes i was able to get only the front pipes and mufflers from show car but not the tail pipe to long to ship those tail pipe to canada they said , i think i will have to go to a muffler shop.
Thanks again for all your help , i hope i can do the same for you guys one day.
60 biscayne409

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Going to a muffler shop is probably the best idea. They can usually make a set of tailpipes for less than the cost of buying a set, then getting them shipped.
If your car sits higher than stock ride height the factory panhard bar will really pull the body over to one side. An adjustable bar pretty much solves all of your problems.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
after I lowered my car I had the back half of the exhust done by a local shop and it only cost me 60.00 clams.