Timing on my 409

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I want to tune my 1963 409 340hp It was once a auto but I converted to a 4 spd. I need to know what should the timing be? I have looked at some other sites and they all give me differant BTC from 6 to 10 degrees, plus should I close off the vac line to the dist.while doing this? Any help would be appreciated.
Oh, did I mention I have this 409 in a 1956 Chevy 2 dr sedan Bel Air?

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I want to tune my 1963 409 340hp It was once a auto but I converted to a 4 spd. I need to know what should the timing be? I have looked at some other sites and they all give me differant BTC from 6 to 10 degrees, plus should I close off the vac line to the dist.while doing this? Any help would be appreciated.
Oh, did I mention I have this 409 in a 1956 Chevy 2 dr sedan Bel Air?

How about some photos please :dance

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Initial timing is important but total is more important. 6-10 degrees initial should be fine. Do this with the vac. disconnected from the distributor. Total should not go over 36 degrees. Do you have your vac. ported or full? These specs should get you in the ballpark.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
MRHP........I'm sorry, but it's been awhile for me and I'm just getting back into this, could you explain to me what you mean by "do you have your vac. ported or full"?
Also, I have a Petronix pointless system that I installed a few years ago. The dist. was a dual point marine type, will this make any differance? If you mean is it a direct vac line to the dist. and nothing else, yes that is what I have.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes what Brian is saying is to disconnect the vac.,set your timing at 34-36 degree@2500[then take the engne rpm up to 3000 to make sure that the mechanical advance is all in.Dont let it go over 36 degrees.You can then return the engine to an idle and see where it is.I wouldnt be concerened @ 10-12 at idle.Then re attach the vac.advance either directly to a manifold source or a port on the carb that is below the throttle shaft.Most Chevrolet engines seem to like manifold vac. as opposed to ported which draws only when the throttle shaft is partily open.Hope this helps.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm sorry, I feel so stupid, but could you explain to me how you are getting the 34-36 degees in timing, since the timing bracket only goes to let say 12 degrees, are you using any special equipment or tools or am I just way out of the ballpark on this one. And if I need something special what is it and how do I use it. Sorry but I haven't worked on this car for years and I have brain freeze. Please explain? Thanks Brian and Don for being patient :grumble

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Randy,most of us use some tyre of "dial back "timing light.This will allow you do check the timing at the desired engine speed,then turn the knob to bring the timing back to the zero mark and read the amout of timing in the engine.These things can be used as a ditrubitor machine with the dist.in the car!

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm sorry, I feel so stupid, but could you explain to me how you are getting the 34-36 degees in timing, since the timing bracket only goes to let say 12 degrees, are you using any special equipment or tools or am I just way out of the ballpark on this one. And if I need something special what is it and how do I use it. Sorry but I haven't worked on this car for years and I have brain freeze. Please explain? Thanks Brian and Don for being patient :grumble

here is a article that will help ya. stolen from corvetteforum. good luck jim

Technical Information Bulletin Rev. G 9-11-05
How to Set Your Timing for Peak Performance
by Lars Grimsrud
Lafayette, CO
“90% of all “carb problems” are ignition timing problems.”
(Lars Grimsrud)
This tech paper will discuss setting the timing on a Chevy V8. This procedure also applies to other GM V8s.
The procedure outlined here differs from the Service Manual, and is based on my years of experience doing this work in the
quickest, least painful, most economical way while keeping the level of quality high. It is recognized that other people will
have different methods of doing things, and may disagree with specific methods and procedures that I use.
How to Set the Timing
When you think about it, setting the timing at idle speed makes no sense at all: You don’t operate your car at idle, and timing
changes as the rpm changes. Fact is, the timing spec at idle speed is provided as a simple way for most people to set the
timing, and is not a good procedure for optimum performance.
Small block Chevys (and most other GM performance V8 engines) perform best when the total timing (full centrifugal
advance plus the initial timing setting with vacuum advance hose disconnected) is all in by 2,500 – 2,800 rpm and is set to
about 36 degrees. If you have an adjustable timing light, this is very easy to check. If you don’t, you need to scribe a 36-
degree mark on your harmonic balancer. Here’s how:
Measure the circumference of your harmonic balancer using a sewing tape measure (or other flexible tape measure). Get it as
accurate as you can. Take this measurement and divide by 10. The number you get is the distance to 36 degrees. Measure
this distance CLOCKWISE from your existing harmonic balancer timing mark as viewed from the front of the engine and
place a clear mark on the balancer.
Remove your distributor cap and rotor. If you have a points-style distributor with the stock, factory, heavy springs in place,
remove one of the springs. Disconnect the vacuum advance. Install the rotor and cap. Loosen the distributor hold-down
clamp bolt just enough so that the distributor can by turned, yet leave it snug enough that the distributor will hold its position.
Start the engine. If you’re using an adjustable timing light, set the light to 36 degrees advanced. Now rev the engine while
observing the timing marks with the light. You will notice that the stock line on the balancer will move up towards the
timing plate as rpm increases. Continue to increase rpm until the line does not move any further (centrifugal advance is
“pegged out”). Once the timing is “pegged out,” the line on the balancer should line up with the “0” mark on the timing tab.
Rotate the distributor to achieve this.
If you’re using a non-adjustable light, perform the same process, but align your new 36-degree mark with “0” mark on the
timing tab.
Shut it down.
Pop the cap and rotor and re-install the spring, if you removed it. Put everything back together, but leave the vacuum
disconnected. Start it up. For future reference, make a note of the timing setting at idle. This is your new curb idle timing
spec. Now give the engine a few quick rev’s past 3,000 rpm and verify that the full timing (36 degrees) is coming in. If it’s
not, you need to change to a softer set of springs until you get full 36-degree advance before 3000 rpm. (NOTE: A stock set
of springs will often not allow full centrifugal advance to come in before redline rpm. If you have heavy stock springs
installed, don’t rev the engine beyond its limits to try to force full advance in.) I suggest obtaining Mr. Gasket kit part
number 927 or 928: Use the gold springs on HEI systems. For points-style systems, use one black spring and one silver
spring – these springs will get your total timing all in by 2500-2800 rpm, providing very good throttle response and power.
The black & silver spring combo can also be used on MSD distributors if you widen out the spring hook ends.
Hook up the vacuum. Re-set your idle speed and idle mixtures if necessary to lower the idle speed. Now do a road test.
The 36-degree 2500 rpm advance curve is optimum for performance, but may require premium fuel. Lug the car around, and
punch the throttle at low rpm while listening for detonation (“engine knock”). If you’re getting any audible knock, you
MUST retard the timing. Retard the timing in 2-degree increments until engine knock stops. Engine knock will seriously
damage engine components if not corrected. If you get no knock, you may see slightly improved performance at 38 degrees
total timing. This is particularly true if you’re running at high altitude.
If you have no engine knock under acceleration, but the car “chugs” or “jerks” at cruising speed (light throttle application),
you are getting too much vacuum advance on top of the mechanical advance. You may need to change out the vacuum
advance diaphragm with a unit producing no more than 16 degrees of vacuum advance. See my paper on “Vacuum Advance
Control Units Facts and Specs” for more info on this.
Your timing is now set for best possible performance. Make note of the new setting, and use this for your future tune-up
work.
Lars’ Suggested Timing Specs for GM V8 Performance Applications:
• 36 degrees total timing (vacuum advance hose disconnected), all “in” by 2500 rpm
• 18 degrees initial timing at idle (vacuum advance hose disconnected). Note that it may not be possible to achieve the
18-degree initial spec with the 36-degree total without modifying the distributor advance stop system. It is more
important to achieve the 36 total than to hit an exact 18 initial. However, if your initial timing is very low (below 12
degrees) with the 36 total, it is important that you repair or modify your distributor in order to achieve correct engine
performance
• 16 degree vacuum advance control unit with a pull-in spec that allows the full range of vacuum advance to be pulled
in at the engine’s idle manifold vacuum level. Connect to manifold vacuum for most applications (this will allow
the engine to idle with actual timing at idle of 34 degrees).
Questions, Comments & Technical Assistance
If you have questions or comments regarding this article, or if you notice any errors that need to be corrected (which is quite
possible since I’m writing this from memory…), please feel free to drop me an e-mail. Also, if you need any technical
assistance or advice regarding this process, or other maintenance issues, feel free to contact me:
V8FastCars@msn.com

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks to all for your help. I will keep you informed. I 'm sure glad that I came across this forum and the web site 348-409.com

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The easiest way to do this is to buy a adjustable timing light that can be dialed in at your desired timing. In my case it was as mentioned 36* but I did try it at 32*, 34* 36* & 38* but found 36 to produce the best results . Then mark your harmonic balancer and the tab on the timing cover at TDC. Then run the RPM's up to 2500-3000 and with your timing light adjusted to your desired figure the two marks will be in perfect alignment. Done Deal....:deal

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I also use an adjustable timing light............ easy to use !! If you're going to buy one, make sure it's a good quality one.

Dave

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well I just relized that the dist. I have has no vac, repeat no vac. going to it.. So I guess it's a mech. advance. What do I do about the timing now? do I follow what you guys have been telling me or is there a new procedure ? This dist. is a marine type that had dual points and it's from the 70's but now has a petronic pointless system .
I 'm getting kinda frustrated :bang I have other issuses with the car, but first I want to get this thing running!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I just relized that the dist. I have has no vac, repeat no vac. going to it.. So I guess it's a mech. advance. What do I do about the timing now? do I follow what you guys have been telling me or is there a new procedure ? This dist. is a marine type that had dual points and it's from the 70's but now has a petronic pointless system .
I 'm getting kinda frustrated :bang I have other issuses with the car, but first I want to get this thing running!!
Yes follow the same procedure as mentioned and, as Dave said buy a good light...:deal

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
After you get her up and running,and if the engine is close to stock,you might consider replacing that dist.with one with a vac.advance.It'l be worth 2-4 mpg.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
After you get her up and running,and if the engine is close to stock,you might consider replacing that dist.with one with a vac.advance.It'l be worth 2-4 mpg.
and sometimes runs cooler. jim
ps. a lot of people run mechanical with no problems.

randy1960

Hello.
I have a 348 tri-power recently I purchased a msd billet dist with vacuum advance well worth the money ..that old. Motor woke. Up could not believe how much power it gained ..was playing around with the mechanical advance springs still.
.but she seems to like 12 degrees good luck with your motor ...

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Instead of reading the timing with a light, you can just keep advancing and take it for a ride. Put the engine under load in 4th and listen for the rattle or ping. Keep advancing a little till you get there, then back it off a couple.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Instead of reading the timing with a light, you can just keep advancing and take it for a ride. Put the engine under load in 4th and listen for the rattle or ping. Keep advancing a little till you get there, then back it off a couple.
Thats a little extreme for some of us old GREYBEARDS that don't hear so good anymore, don ja tink. :rub Leo