Timing Set With Big Block Crank

red450ih

For those who have used a BBC crank in a W engine without turning the crank snout down, what timing set set did you use? Is there such an item? As it stands I am considering getting a Cloyes 9-3601X3 and having the crank gear machined to fit the BBC snout size.

I would like to retain the BBC size snout if possible. I already have a timing cover and harmonic balancer that will work with the large snout.

red450ih

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the suggested parts/companies.

Another question, what crank pulley do you fellas use with the BBC harmonic balancer?

I plan to use a BBC 7" balancer and hopefully an original water pump pulley.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the suggested parts/companies.

Another question, what crank pulley do you fellas use with the BBC harmonic balancer?

I plan to use a BBC 7" balancer and hopefully an original water pump pulley.
Will a 7" balancer clear the water pump itself? I'm sure 8" is too big but thought 7" is/was cutting it close.

red450ih

303Radar,
An original 409 harmonic balancer is 6.75 inches. The extra .250" will not cause interference issues.

red450ih

What crank pulley do you fellas use with the BBC harmonic balancer?

I plan to use a BBC 7" balancer. I would also like to use an original water pump pulley with this set-up if possible.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Should be BBC pre 1969 or called short water pump style. Factory originals for High Performance would be deep groove on everything and 4x the price of low performance ones. Deep groove for over 5,500 RPM to keep from riding up and rolling off.