tires

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I got a flat on the 59 elky so I pulled the wheel and headed to the local tire popper...I was told he could dismount my tire but not remount it...apparently here in florida it is now illegal to install a tire over 6 years old...these tires have 419 miles on them for pete's sake...I'm gonna have the wheel tig welded keeping the tire on the other side of the wheel and detail it with my die grinder...what a load of crap...I have 88 tires in service on this place on assorted equipment...God help me if I get a flat on any of my vintage red lines or wide oval reproductions from the 60's era...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Big tire place told me the limit was 10 years here, took it elsewhere, they had no problem with it. Seems it’s a store policy, not law. Never had a problem before, nobody ever checked date on my tires on anything.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Ask the guy who was at Trifive Bowling Green a couple years ago about driving on old tires. Had old old tires on his ‘55 when one blew while driving on the highway about 55-60 mph when he wrecked. Wait, you can’t ask him. Unless you can say, “I can hear dead people”. Old tires are not safe.

Fuzz

MAGA

Well Known Member
AS A RULE THE LIFE OF A TIRE IS 3 TO 5 YEARS. THEY ARE PETROLUEM BASED , THAT HELPS KEEP THEM SOFT AND PLYABLE. WITH TIME THEY DRY OUT GET HARD AND CRACK. JUST CAUSE THE TREAD MAY STILL LOOK GOOD DOES NOT MEAN THE TIRE IS STILL SAFE. CHECK ON THE SIDE OF THE TIRE YOU WILL SEE DOT ... THEN THE WEEK AND THE YEAR THE TIRE WAS MADE. EXAMPLE ... 09 21 ... 9TH WEEK OF 2021

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The quality of tires has tanked. Used to be a ten year old tire was no big deal if it didn't look dry rotted. Then eight years, then five, and now even less. We have a local family owned tire business that has been around forever. They do car and commercial tires. One brand he said they won't dismount if they are over four years old unless they are replacing them because of how many times they tore right through the sidewall when breaking the bead. And it wasn't a china brand either. I asked what was going on because we have semi tires ten years old that aren't dry rotted or degraded. He told me that all light truck, car, and smaller trailer tires had all traces of natural rubber removed. That's when the trouble started. Large commercial tires still have some natural rubber in them and hold up way better. My bosses pick em up truck came with michelins. Three years later the side walls looked like shit and they started splitting between the treads. WTF!!!!! And that's not uncommon anymore! Why spend a lot on tires anymore. They are all junk. Now I just ask for the cheapest tire made in the USA. Lately that's Cooper for the the small stuff and Kelley for the semi stuff.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your old tires are very unsafe. It's your life go for it. As far as the tire shop that's not a new regulation, they're just going by it. Other shops will mount it.

bobs409

Administrator
I'd bet the real reason is either tree huggers or the old, "make it cheaper and raise the price" concept. Last one seems to be the new normal... Remember leaded gas? How about zinc in your oil?

You should see how long a gas neck filler grommet lasts on an old truck when it lives outside. 6 months tops before it's full of tiny cracks! (that's also about how long it takes for your new door handles to start pitting but that's another rant) Nothing but CRAP these days!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I will not let any of my road vehicles' tires run past 10 years regardless of miles.......here's one reason......very sad.
Fatal crash in Toronto in 2016 account bad tire(s) on a street rod.......:confused
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...on-in-multi-vehicle-crash-on-highway-407.html

Three dead in car-bus crash on Highway 407 | The Star

Three occupants of a 1948 Chevrolet died Sunday afternoon after crashing into a coach bus on Highway 407 in Brampton, the OPP said. It’s believed the Chevrolet was travelling in the far-right ...
www.thestar.com

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
How do you know a blowout happened because the tire was defective? There are so many nails, screws, bungee cord hooks and other junk on the road that no tire can hold up against, but somehow it's always an inferior tire to blame when a blowout happens. By the time you pull over and stop, the tire is too far gone to tell what really happened.

Well Known Member
THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT IT IF YOU HIT SOMETHING THAT WILL DAMAGE THE TIRE IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS BRAND NEW OR NOT.
BUTT ...... AGAIN WITH TIME ALL TIRES DRY OUT AND CRACK ..... AND THEREFORE ARE NOT SAFE.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Spring of 2019 I was trailering my 61 real SS to a national AACA show in south Florida. The tires on the trailer were 4 years old at the time but since it was March thus cool weather I decided to leave them one more show. Well all four of my tires exploded during that trip plus one of my spares. Total of 5 exploding tires resulting in destroying the fender of the trailer plus 4 of the side panels. An aluminum inner wheel well was damaged by one of them but nothing came into the trailer. I monitor my tire pressures and temperatures electronically inside the truck but no warning on either until the boom of the exploding tire.
Robert

bobs409

Administrator
This kind of thing should not be accepted! That is downright dangerous to sell such garbage! These companies don't care who gets hurt by their cheapening out on products. They should be sued EVERYTIME!

I've got old bias ply tires that are still usable. One has J.C. Penney name on it! (it's a spare for now, museum piece later...) :D

Reactions: Tim

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
This kind of thing should not be accepted! That is downright dangerous to sell such garbage! These companies don't care who gets hurt by their cheapening out on products. They should be sued EVERYTIME!

I've got old bias ply tires that are still usable. One has J.C. Penney name on it! (it's a spare for now, museum piece later...) :D

Bob I’ve learned my lesson. Anything on the road is less than five years. The cars reproduction tires I’m not worried as they aren’t driven and they don’t have 75 psi (or higher depending on rating) like a high load trailer tire
Robert
Maybe I should join a class action suit against Goodyear for trailer damages and scare actions when each of them bombed

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
I'm running Dunlop tires on the Impala, the second one, from the Impala SS. They're from 1997. They do have cracks straight across the tire tread on the back ones, but they've been in the garage the whole time. Except for when being driven. Which has been almost three years anyway, but I'm loosing that one, Dad hasn't used his car in four years.

Reactions: Tim