To much wheel hop

64CAYNE

Well, with all this new power I have, I also have a lot more wheel hop when I get on it. I'm sure my tires have a little bit to do with it but the suspention is just to soft. What are my best options?

1. Hotchkis arms? Expensive but worth it?

2. Different shocks? Air shocks right now for a little more lift.

3. Different rear springs?

4. Better tires. I do plan on taller drag radials when I burn these off.

Thanks for any input. You all have been great so far with my questions.
I value all the knowledge this place has.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
poly this

I run Hodgkis lower arms and poly bushing on all upper and lower. 50/50 shocks and I experience no wheel hop with TA radials. Rear springs are stock with 1 loop cut off.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
wheel hop

Air bags inside the rear springs. 30psi in the right, 15 in the left. You can also make sure that the front of the rear trailing arms are in the lower set of holes.
That should keep you busy for a while. It's a good start . Good luck.

Number one(1) cause of wheel hop with these cars.... ride height.
If your car is, for any reason, higher in the rear than stock ride height... it WILL wheel hop.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I use et streets, So some of this may not be a fair comparison. This is how my rear is setup and I do not get wheel hop. 6cyl. rear springs, stock shocks, udjustable single upper arm, boxed lowers with polygraphite bushings. Best 60 foot this year was a 1.713. This fall Ive been messin around with air bags. starting with 10lbs in the right. 0 in the left. And have been fabricating a bracket to move the mounting point on the upper arm, rear spot up 2 inches. Looks like that should bring the instant center back to about the front floorpan or firewall. Hope some of this helps.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Number one is get rid of the air shocks and get some good adjustable shocks like QA's. Don't jack the rear end up inthe air, the more level the car the better it will perform. Use air bags in the coils to stiffen up the right rear, not raise car height. Wheel hop is from the suspension loading and not being able to hold the load. The torque from the engine trys to lift the right rear wheel from the road and the spring drives it back down to the road, so the wheel hops. You have to do some thing to make as much weight transfer to the rear end as possible and stop the rebound action. A stiff suspension is a must and no worn bushings. :brow Roy

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Number one(1) cause of wheel hop with these cars.... ride height.
If your car is, for any reason, higher in the rear than stock ride height... it WILL wheel hop.
tripowerguy said:
Don't jack the rear end up inthe air,

:roll :roll Mine don`t hop a bit !!!!
156463250.jpg

But ,, I`m the exception when it come to the rear in the air !!!:D

The Hotckis arms are great but not the complete cure.
They will help in getting the correct setting on the rear but only part of the answer,,dq

64CAYNE

The only reason I had the airshocks, was to keep it from looking like a lowrider.
I'm going to cut a loop out of the front to get the nose down a bit, and going to a 275/60-15 tire in the rear. Should have enough rake to it so I don't get the lowrider comments.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only reason I had the airshocks, was to keep it from looking like a lowrider.
I'm going to cut a loop out of the front to get the nose down a bit, and going to a 275/60-15 tire in the rear. Should have enough rake to it so I don't get the lowrider comments.

Low rider comments what do you mean?...and no wheel hop...:clap :clap I think if you cut one loop out of the front you will need to do the same in the back and get rid of the air shocks. JMO Good luck with what ever you decide.:cool:

Attachments

• 50th8.jpg
    50th8.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 46

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Everybody show profile shot

Mine sits pretty level

Attachments

• level.jpg
    level.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 80

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I agree to get rid of the air shocks. I would also get some new bushings for the rear arms. I am using the kit from these guys. www.p-s-t.com It was a good kit. You have to reuse the metal shells of the upper bushings, other than that its a complete kit. It was $75.00. I boxed mt own lower control arms and have been happy with the results. Its alot cheaper than the ebay ones your looking at.

tatt2jim

no wheel hop here ....ladder bar coil over works ...almost too good

Attachments

• imp sell 1_1.jpg
    imp sell 1_1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 89
There will be no more of that, Dan:deal
Amongst a number of other "improvements"... Like bubbltop mentioned, I too will raising the attachment point of my upper control arms on the rear axle housing ( the only change I'm allowed in Stock ).