too much gas

mercsrus51

It sems that whenver my 348 sits too long, then I have to pump it to start, it dumps too mucha gas, and i get flooded...can I shut off the first and third carb, and just run on the center one....???

This would avoid the possibility of the other tow carbs from dumping .........I end up changing the plugs, after the car is running, and is running, and I start it up again in a few days its ok...only if I let it set for a couple of weeeks,,,,,,,,,,LOu

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The car will run fine on just the center carb. You can block them off with thin steel and no one would know. But I'm wondering if you have a underlying problem. Have you checked fuel pressure and needle and seats. My 58 has set for 4 months at a time and fires up and runs fine. I have an electric choke and I just thought of something:rolleyes: maybe your choke sticks shut after sitting for a week or two. You might try backing off a little on the choke. Just some random thoughts on how to solve your problem.:) Roy

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
mercsrus51 said:
It sems that whenver my 348 sits too long, then I have to pump it to start, ,,,,,,,,,,LOu

Lou, How gas much do you pump? In other words , how many pumps???

Tripower mentioned you may have a underlying problem, which you do and it could be as easy as the choke he mentioned.

I would start there and if thats not it keep looking for the problem.

If the choke is OK next time before you pump it, try squirting some "W-D 40" down the carb as starting fluid to see if it will start this way.

I`m curious if the gas is evaporating or draining into the manifold,, dq

Hummm, Seems I remember a post about a bad fuel pump can cause the fuel to drain back down the fuel line (not the carb gas) and then take a while to pump the fuel line full again on startup.
If this were the case you could be pumping the gas from the carb while the line is empty.
Anyone remember this?

mercsrus51

Choke seems to be good....might be sticking after a long rest....It idles up when cold, then after I kick it it will go it normal idle....
I ma going to replace the gas pump with new,.,,seems like one time when I shut it it off, gas stays in the line,, then next time line empties out???
I thoought about just plugging the the gas lins to the front and rear carbs....

But will this effect operation , anothe words will the car not run right??? A suggestion that I place a thin piece of steel under the carbs?? why can't I just shsut off the gas??? Thankyou

seems like it s ok , then just out of the blue floods over when staring....I will lubricate all the linkage and go from there...Thankyou LOU

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lou, I was not implying that your linkage needed lubing, I was wondering if you used the WD-40 as a starting fluid (gives some lubrication compared to starting fluid) before you pump the carbs if this would help in start up.
If it dies shortly after I would say your fuel is draining back down the fuel line.

I would find the problem rather then disable the other carbs.

If you plug the other carbs fuel lines it will cause a lean condition that would be very bad.

Find the problem !!!! Then correct it !!

There should be someone around where you live that should be able to help if none of the suggestion here help.

I hate to see a bad band-aid solution to a curable problem,,dq

mercsrus51

thannkyou the first thing we are going to do is the start test with wd 40...I ll change the as pump....I know that i pumped the gas peddle too much and flooded it,, but there seems to be no in the middle...if the car ran yesterday, then it will start right up....after a few days its tough...so sounds like the gas is draning back,,,,you reright find the problem instead of the band aid,,,once it starts it fine...no problems idles graet,,,thats one reason I don't want any one tinkiering with the carbs.....never stalls ...does not hesitate soooooooooooooooo thankyou

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I tried to blow up your avatar and look at your carbs couldn't do it. The center carb on a stock 348 three carb setup is the only carb that has an idle circuit. The two end carbs have no idle circuits and no power valves. There should be a progressive linkage that does not open the end carbs until you are past half throttle. There should be accelerator pumps on all three carbs. Since you have the engine in a Mercury and it is a cruiser maybe someone put three carbs on it with idle circuits and that means that they can get tricky to get to idle properly. You said it idles perfectly so that problem is solved. I agree you are you are draining fuel back probably after it sits for a week or two. Pumping it to start should not flood it unless you go overboard with the pumping. Next time you start it up have hood open and if it floods see which carb is flooding or if all 3 are flooding. Is the fuel coming out of the float bowls or is the flooding coming only by the choke sticking shut? You will only know if it is the choke by having the air cleaner off and looking at it when it starts. The choke should pull off immediately when it starts to about half choke. If the choke stays full on after starting it will flood the engine. Hope any of this helps.:cheers Roy

mercsrus51

thankyou all... Tripower guy's advice made me go HMMMMMMMM

so I will check to see how the choked operates on a cold start.......yesterday trurned the key, pushed the button strarted right up..........thankyou the center carb is the only one w a choke and and the works.......It was set up by a CHEVY Guy in mass a few years ago,,,,and my chevy guy here did the carbs over a bout 3 years ago,, with parts from hOt Rod Crbs who is supposed to have good parts....so I ll let ya know what happens

Lou thank you