Took My Trailer For a Ride

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
A little back story on this car.
Bud Smith R.I.P. retired from California to central Mo. in the early 2000s.
He was a racer from a young age and raced a front engine dragster and later a rear engine dragster. When he moved to central Mo. he brought his rear engine car with him.
Now not knowing anyone around that was drag racing he somehow found my shop and needless to say we hit it off.
He had been missing his front engine car so he commissioned me to bend up the tube for his next car.
When this car was first run he had a stack injected small block with a power glide transmission.
I had pit for him at a few tracks and one year at the H.A.M.B. Drags he offered me a chance to shoe this car because it was hot and he didn't want to suite up for fear he would have a heat stroke. Now you know I said heck yeah.
The engine had a very conservative tune in it and I managed a 10.27 @137 mph pass and needless to say I was sure that I will need a car like this in my future.

The engine that is in the car now is the bow tie block and world products heads from the rear engine car he brought from California witch was blown with an Enderle hat injected.
I am sure he never got the chance to get this running with the two port Hilborn.
I had always stayed in touch with Bud with hope to help him at the track again but the big C was taking it tole on him and that day never came again.

My plan will be to honor Bud when I campaign this car.
I would like to paint the car to my liking, but on the fence on that for now.

So more to come. :burnout
James.