Took the car out for the last time till spring

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I took the 58 out for the last time today drove it about 30 miles. I put some Sta-Bil in and filled it up. I left a stop sign and got a little sideways and I'm sure the lady in the Venture behind me wouldn't understand that I was only trying to run some Sta-bil into the end carbs. It's supposed to snow about 8 in. in a few hours so I guess the fun is over for a while.:cry Roy

JokersBel

Banned
it is sad to HAVE to put 'em up like that. Although, consider yourself lucky...you have your car DONE and can be driven! haha I can only dream of such things at this time. You know, with all that I have learned here, i've never driven a W yet!!! weird huh???

Jim

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I parked mine in the garage about a week ago. The only good news, I see it everyday and it isn't covered in ice and snow! Will probably work on it some this winter.:)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm shovelling that snow!

Roy, the snow you speak of just hit us here in the middle of Missouri, and it's absolutely beautiful! We had some heavy, wet stuff a few days ago and I nearly got a full workout getting it off my driveway. Today's snow, about 5-6 inches, was lightweight by comparison (kinda like Ross pistons compared to the stockers).

I know how you feel about putting them up for the Winter months. About 3 weeks ago we removed the 283 PG setup out of my '62SS, and while I will set it aside and preserve it, I do not ever anticipating putting it back in the car (maybe someone else will 40 years from now?). That rendered the car a "pusher" and that's what I have been doing a couple of times a week when I get to work on it. It sits outside at a shop (yes, it's covered well) and I bring it in when my buddy has the lift available. Bit by bit I an removing parts :)

Talk about putting a car up for the Winter! This one is coming apart for the Winter. Can't think of a more fun project to do, wish I had my own shop where I could play on it more often, but this will have to do. Clearly my "shop envy" continues to mount :)

Hope everyone else has great plans for their vehicles over the next few months, and that everything turns out for the good!

Cheers,
TomK

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I jacked it up and put it on jack stands so the tires won't take a set. I'm putting new carpet and repairing the air conditioner this winter. The engine is good [I hope] and so I'm not doing to much mechanical. I think that I will put a dual master cylinder on for safety this winter also. The car runs good, I would like to know if the new Crane cam is better than the Comp cam and if the carb spacers help out. I think it all helps but the time slip will tell the truth. Ah for spring:cool: although it does look like a winter wonderland here now. I already have my christmas present, Kodak digital camera, that the losy Kodak program won't let me put pictures on the internet, just e-mail. Tom I have a heated garage with a bath and shower, I don't want the 58 to suffer. I thought I would throw that in.:p Roy

36master

up for winter

hey guys, i drove my 58 about 2 weeks ago,dont have any snow yet.have a few flurries.but its already in garage.still dont have my 56 back yet,had to get on him this weekend. bobby:cuss

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
I took my 63 out this morning ,went into Illinois for a few hours,got back home here behind the cheddar curtain.....15 minutes later it started snowing. Whew..that was close!

Obnxs1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cheeseheads

Ed,

I could say something here about cheeseheads and how we'd appreciate it if they stay out of Illinois, but I won't. :p

JK. How far is Union Grove from Rockford? Seem to remember that it's not all that far. We should get together sometime next year with the cars.

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Well Adam according to expedia.com You are 76.2 miles away.You must understand that my car is along way from being finished.It is in mostly in etch primer and as I found out yesterday the brake lights quit working.You know how it is.But I just had to get out there and bang those gears! The paint will probably happen around April. You don't take your car out in the salty slushy slop do you?
BTW I am an Illinois native and how I ended up in the peoples republic of Wisconsin is a long story. Yah hey dere!

1958 impala

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
MY 58 GOT A THREE MONTHS SENTENCE TO THE GARAGE ALSO,HOPE FOR AN INDIAN SUMMER.I STILL GET VISITATION. :p

Obnxs1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ed,

My car has been in storage for about a month now. Sorry to here about you being transplanted to cheese land. It's always sad to see a good man taken before his time.