Total seal dry film cylinder wall lube

bobs409

Administrator
You can bet on that! :D Hone should be here tomorrow finally! :evil Guess I'm honing cylinders and filing rings this weekend. :)

bobs409

Administrator
Block is honed, washed with hot soapy water and rinsed and a couple initial cleanings with brake cleaner. I'm done fitting the rings for 4 cylinders too. :cool:The other 4 are next. Set them at .22 top, .25 2nd and .20 or better for the oil rails. The rails are right out of the box, didn't have to do any filing on any of those yet. The top and 2nd rings were all too tight out of the box. Most are in the .013-.014 range.

A bit of a learning curve working the hone. Kind of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head. :D You have to watch the speed of rotation, how deep to go, not to come out too far and lastly the speed of the stroke which seems to be the most important to get the correct degree of cross hatch. All that and remember not to pull the thing out while it's turning. Whew! Got pretty good with it after a few. (cylinders, not beers) :D

Ran out of WD40 so I used kerosene with marvel mystery oil mixed together. I read of this recipe on the net somewhere. Worked good.

I sure hope I get it right this time. :pray

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds like youre doing just fine,just be sure to remove any sharp edges from where you filed the rings.You rarely have to file the oil ring expanders.:D

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:clap Ain't this fun? Have you decided to use the dry lube on this rebuild? Which heads are you going with and have you checked the guides on the oil burning set? If you get a chance post some pics of your hone job.

bobs409

Administrator
Going with the dry lube this time. It's supposed to help with the seating and I can use all the help I can get this time around! :D

Going with the aluminum heads on this one. All I need to do is to figure out the push rod lengths and order the correct ones. I have everything else.

How do I check the guides on the other heads? There is no movement in the valve stems, I checked that when I had everything apart last time. I strongly suspect the valve seals were either damaged or maybe they moved upward. :dunno

Should have the whole lower end done tomorrow and even the heads on if all goes well. Had great luck with the ring filing, I seem to have the touch for it. :D Can't wait to take it for a ride, it's been a while! :deal