Total seal dry film cylinder wall lube

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Bob, one thing you might check is overlapping ends of the oil ring expander. If those ends are not butted against each other, you will have no wall tension on the oil ring rails. Just my thoughts, good luck.---Dave.

bobs409

Administrator
Another question

Got another question, I'm looking at ring sets on Summit but in the specs, some say they are file fit and others say NO. I understand what file fit is but what does it mean when they say they aren't? :scratch

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The standard ring is made to meet the end gap recommended by the manufacturer in the bore. Now that does not mean they will be perfect when checked and usually don't allow for tighter end gap if that is what you want. I always buy file fit for performance motors so I can get what I what. Filing rings is a pain in the butt and takes time to not over file them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:crazyNon file fit rings have a wider gap out of the box[usually about .005] as compared to the file fit rings.[less work for you].Comp cams makes adjustable checking pushrods [:bang you get to buy MORE tools] that will allow you to find the length you'll need for your pushrods

bobs409

Administrator
Yeh, and I have to buy 2 of them too! :bang Since the 454 uses 2 sized rods, looks like I'll need 2 of these to cover both lengths.

Stock rods are 8.280 and 9.252 So I will get a 7.5 to 8.7 checker and a 8.7 to 9.8 checker. Summit has Trick Flow brand for $11.95 each.

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, it's all ordered. :deal

I decided to use the dry cylinder lubricant this time. It's supposed to help seat the rings and I can use all the help I can get with these! :pray

If they don't seat this time, I'm putting the 307 back in. :roll

P.S. I checked the rings and I did have all of them with the dot up so it wasn't my fault. :)

bobs409

Administrator
More problems? :eek:

Today I got the pistons and block cleaned up and noticed the pistons have scuff wear and the cylinders have some vertical scratches. Most of the scratches don't catch a finger nail but a few do. Not all cylinders have the same amount, they vary. (see pics)

I've been searching the net to learn what caused this and get everything from it's normal to an engine that has been over heated or abused. :dunno:doh This has never over heated and I never abused it. It's only got 850 miles!

So once again, I turn to my engine guru's Don & Derry for the answer. :deal

BTW, the cylinder scratches are at the 6 & 12 oclock position only so I don't think it would be dirt but you tell me. ??

Attachments

• 100_2951.jpg
    100_2951.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_2952.jpg
    100_2952.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_2954.jpg
    100_2954.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2955.jpg
    100_2955.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_2956.jpg
    100_2956.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 44

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eek:Remember when on inital start up,and you flooded the hell out of it?:doh It looks like you washed off the lubrication from the skirts and walls.Nothing major here,re-hone it,take some very fine sand paper and smooth out the skirts,re-assemble with new rings,good to go.From the looks of the walls,we now know why it didnt seat,and used oil:evil

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow that some serious scuffing

:eek:How clean were the compression rings and were they stuck in the lands at all? Were all the expander and rials free and expanders butted with no over lap? Did you put the expanders gaps and rail gaps in the same place on each piston?

bobs409

Administrator
Yep, all rings were free and no overlap on the expander ring. I didn't see any dirt or anything in the ring grooves. :dunno I did set/stagger all ring grooves as per the illustration in the rebuild book. The rails & expander ring gaps were also staggered.

I didn't check to see if they were still in that location when I removed the pistions but rings do rotate so I doubt they stayed there very long.

Don, I wouldn't say I flooded the hell out of it. Wasn't quite that bad. :D

Sounds like I'm still good to go then. Had me worried! :eek:

Hone should hopefully be here today, tomorrow at the latest. All parts are here except the rings as they are shipping from the manufacturer instead of Summit.

Thanks,

Bob

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:? Well my theory and that what it is a theory is that the oil you were burning raised the piston heat retention and with the tight end gap on the rings didn't allow the rings to flex in the piston lands and drug the skirts into the walls. I routinely put together dry for quick break-in and don't see scuffs like that.

bobs409

Administrator
Well I won't be honing anytime soon. They sent the wrong item. :takethat

You could be right Derry. Something caused it. I just want to make sure it NEVER happens again. :pray :D

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob could you shoot some pics for me

:doh Hey Bob while I was was getting ready for a build today a light bulb came on. Could you take and post pics of the bottom of the bores from the crankshaft side looking out the top. The key in this is to see the beginning edges of the cylinder bore. On small blocks this area when bored can develope sharp edges which need to be radiased to prevent cutting skirts.:dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:dunno Bob,Do you have the tools to measure the piston to wall clearence?I'm thiinking maybe it's a little too tight for a forged piston.

bobs409

Administrator
Fred, I don't know how much. Piston sheet recommends .0050. :dunno

Don, could a digital caliper be used to measure piston and then cylinder? That's all I got. :dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob,The caliper will measure the piston,but not the wall[no room].Too bad we're so far apart,I'd gladly loan my bore gauges.I'm intrested to see the bottom of the bores as Derry suggested.I doubt theres a problem there,but I may be giving the machine shop too much credit here.