Towing the '55 to the Track

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I am writing this from memory so it may not be 100% accurate. More info about the 409 dragster. We bought the car from Glen Rabe and Jim McCown in Ardmore, Oklahoma. Don’t know who built it but it could have been them. The drag strip was Ardmore Raceway. It was operated by the local car club the Slowpokes. It is now operated by a private individual and is an NHRA strip. Is the longest continuously operating strip in the US. Started in 1954 by the car club. The chassis used an old Ford transmission and rear end with a closed driveshaft. Used 2nd and high. I remember the engine as being a mostly stock 409. Am certain the crank and rods were stock. Not sure about the cam or pistons. We did just a standard valve job on the heads. Don’t think any porting had been done. The block had 2 or 3 sleeves in it when we got the car. We sold the car to a friend and he raced it for a year or two and blew the engine. I talked to him about 15 years ago. Parted out the engine. He said the chassis he sold to someone in Texas. These are the only other pictures I have taken at the drag strip during that time. There is a 63 Ford 427, a 63 or 64 Dodge 426 wedge, and a 62 Impala 409 in the pictures. I knew all the owners. They may not be clear enough for you to see them 409 Dragster3.jpgArdmore Dragstrip.jpgArdmore Dragstrip2.jpgin the post. They were good times. Wish I had appreciated it more then.