transmission advice

vivajo

th400 transmission
Any recommendation on a ready to bolt in mail order ? basically stock 348 - or find a used one and have it rebuilt

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Lots of performance places sell the turbo 400's but now they charge a ton of $$$. In the last 2 years I have been give 3 free turbo 400's. I rebuilt 2 as they had some issues, and the other one was a full manual valve body one that I got "free" and it works. Buy a core at a swap meet, go to YouTube and watch some videos on how to rebuild them, they're pretty easy to do inc. putting a shift kit in them. As for recommendations, Jeg's Summit and local transmission shops will have them, but without a core you will pay more. I know the 2 I mentioned don't need cores but it's built into their prices.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
350 also. I agree with 425/409er. These are basic rebuilds that almost anyone can do if they have general mechanical abilities. Purchase what is known as a compliance kit. It will have most of what you need unless you have hard part damage or want upgrades. Those performance shops are high prices rip offs in my opinion. I am not saying they don't work, I am saying you can get the same thing in Sacramento for a half the price at a good shop. A shift kit can also be advantageous. If you get a good core, I could probably recommend a good builder in your area that would do a side job reasonably.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think they are a good fit. I have rebuilt a few of those but was never impressed with internal parts. I know they build these to take a lot of HP for Gran National guys that race them.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
They do have a good gear spread plus the overdrive and lockup torque converter.
I'm sure they make them with just the Chevy bolt pattern but all I have seen are the universal bellhousing that are kinda ugly if your looking that close.