transmission advice

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wait until the sprag assy. breaks on a turbo 350, then you can appreciate a good Turbo 400.
If the TH350 is good it will never happen with a stockish 348. Mine was beat on daily with a 410 gear, never an issue.
I think they are a good fit. I have rebuilt a few of those but was never impressed with internal parts. I know they build these to take a lot of HP for Gran National guys that race them.
YES !! build one right and never look back!
I like the t400 for one reason, durability, its just a damn good transmission, best choice, maybe not, good gm transmission you betcha!
There is no doubt. But they eat up 40 more HP and are 40# heavier.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thought I had posted on here about the 700r4. They are really hard to beat performance wise. Sure they have some draw backs but they have parts for that now just like every other transmission. Find a '88-90 700r4 with a huge K cast into the outside of the case. That is your heavy duty with the 5 gear planets in it so less parts to replace. Lots of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks out there. Don't be afraid to buy a truck transmission. You will have it rebuilt anyway so spend the $100 on a 2wd shaft and tail housing to make it a 2wd transmission. I bought an '86 (The later you can find the better) and spent $1000 in parts and $400 in labor at my favorite transmission shop that does performance transmissions around here and now I have a 700r4 that can take about 750hp. KEEP IN MIND. You aren't going to run 10 seconds in the 1/4 so I standard factory 700r4 truck transmission will handle everything you can throw at it with your engine. Your rear end is going to give up before that 700r4 does.