Travis & Floyd Horton 409 engine!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
that's better!!!

Thanks Travis!!!

THAT'S AWESOME FOR A SINGLE 4-BARREL ENGINE!!!!

I know your cam specs are secret but I heard that the lift was about the same height as the Empire State Building!!!!:D :D :D

oooooooh man.... that's NASTY !!!!!
That LONG stretch of horsepower is going to make for a vicious ride:cheers

Thanks Travis !... I had almost passed out:p

Travis Horton's Engine

Hey Guys,
We're pretty tickled with the engine. The single four intake doesn't run up high as well as the duel four piece. We didn't want to go crazy on port work so the heads and intake have pretty mild work done on them. We were hoping for 550 HP but it didn't quite make it. But it did have a pretty good torque number. It ought to really move the car. Travis and I were talking about maybe trying to fashion some type of good single plane manifold to fit the 09. A little cutting and a little welding, a couple of adapter plates, who knows. He's going to see how she runs in the car this year and maybe next year go for a roller cam and maybe the intake. Travis and his dad Floyd are some great guys. We're all going to have some fun at the 348-409 reunion this year. Can't wait to see all of these cars with the W-series engines in them. It will really be something!
Thanks again Guys!

Tony Shaffer

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
WOW!!!
Nice going guys. :cheers That's a TON of power and such a wide power band. I can't wait to see that Belair run.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Convention

Third weekend is what I have down. 15th through the 19th????
Phil???????????

Fred

Now tell us the cubic inches, ' cause 536 @ 5800 out of a 409 just don't compute. Don't matter, it's a bitchin' motor, gonna make a car RUN!. But it's not a 409 cube motor. I got a SS&DI, first one I think, that has a 496 W in a Malibu, sounds like about what this one is.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
HP and CI

482 CI, Fran. Was in a post above. You must have missed it. I thought Curt Harvey had told me he was getting about 570 from race motors. I know he told me the next 30 HP would cost another 10 Grand. Meant going to Z-11 heads and stuff. Thinking that put him up to 600 HP. Memory can be wrong, though. Still a lot of HP. I saw a graph a few years ago, that you put the weight of the car in, the ET attained, and it would compute HP. Don't remember where this was, now. I do remember that with our old car at 3700 lbs, and an 11.98 ET, it was saying we were up in the 500s on HP. And, it was a .030 over 409. Of course those do leave some room for error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Cubic "s

Fran, you ole fart! Put your glasses on and go back a few posts and you'll see that it's 482 ci.
:stooges

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
calculations

Ray, everything works except the horse power calc. Keeps telling me to put numbers in. I did. It won't look, I guess! All the other stuff will work. What did I do wrong????????

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
chart

Ray, really don't like that one!!!!!!!!!!! Shows about 430 HP to do 11.98 at 3750 lbs. Are they talking rear wheel horse power? Sure thought we were doing better than that! Now I feel really BAD.:cry

Fred

BC409

Supporting Member 1
travis and floyds induction

hello fellow w-enthusiast. I am wondering if the hi-perf single 4bbl intake that Travis' motor is using can make more power than the dual 4bbl type?It looked like a spacer was used and they said 830cfm holley.although the nostalgia appeal may be less,the ease of tuning on race day would be plus!Has anyone dyno'd such a comparison?I couldnt find anything in my old articles.Sure would like to see a modern aluminum single plane intake for these old girls.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah, I tried about 112 on MPH. Don't really remember the MPH. I do remember the ET, because it was .02 from the national record at the time. WE were on cloud nine. This was either B/FX or B/MP. I think about 2-3 weeks later, someone in a Vette, I think, took the record to 11.60 or something like that. We had no shot at that. We were on the edge of the 409 at the time. There wasn't that much left, and the suspension was working REAL WELL. I mean 6000 and dump the clutch. Was kind of sobering. We ran the 09 a little while longer in 65, then I quit. Dean went on to get a 66 Nova with the small block, and built it with dual 4s, and raced it. This is the car he took to California when he left Ohio. I know Hayden helped him on it, too.
A short story. Hayden told Dean to read the plugs, go through the quarter, and shut the motor off. Well, Dean did just that. WIDE OPEN. Shut her off. 16 valve springs later, it was ready to run again! The idea was to shut the throttle, THEN shut it off. Oh well, sometimes we learn the hard way! NEVER did that again, either one of us!

Fred

Horton's 409/482

Hey Guys,
This engine was kind of a mix. It's a mild race engine. It's a good solid affordable single four barrel piece. We've made 700 ponies on 444 inches with 583 heads with duel fours. But that's a bunch of work. You'll see it run at the reunion in my brother Don's Obselete Missile car. I think we can make some more power out of it. Right now the engine is apart at the shop and we are taking a strong look at everything we've done to the engine so far. We're doing some upgrades on the heads and the ring package. We're squeezing this 09 til it squeels! It will be a couple of months before it is finished, but I will keep you all updated on how it is coming. It already has one of the duel four manifolds that we convert to a mini tunnel ram. Looks kind of stock but then you say huuuuuummmmmmm, that looks strange, if you know what I mean. We did find out on the single four barrel piece that the engine isn't as efficient as the two four piece. The brake specific fuel curve was higher on the single four which means that if didn't make as much power with the air and fuel that it was using. Anyway I'll keep you posted. By the way the Bud lights that Travis and Floyd brought were real good. Imported from Pittsburgh Ks. See ya all later.
Tony Shaffer

Read it three more times, THEN I saw it, absolutely going blind. I knew it was bigger than 409, but 536 @ 5800 from 482 is STILL a great number, especially with that dismal intake. I imagine a good single plane like they make today would seriously increase the HP. How quick?, were doing 11.50's at 118 with a 3400 pund 1984 Monte Carlo, 28" tire, 4.10's, T400. 460 MK IV, VERY mild, dyno'd at a corrected 425 @ 5300 then nosed over, 500 ftpd from 28 to3800. She shifts it at 5600. I'd be surprised if this engine in a 62 b'top couldn't go 11 flat at 125 @3700 lbs. AND SHIFT IT AT 6000!, WOW!. That's what I like, alot down low and a shift point that isn't an engine breaker.

The right angle turns in the stock manifold are killing it, I know many say more, more, more horsepower. I'd rather finesse it enough to get 10.90's, with an engine that will live. Good motor, great job.