Tri Power Idle Circuit Changes For Bigger Cam?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Are you closing off the outside carburetors by hand over the air scopes or over the top of the carburetor?

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Existing fuel tube size is .027"
I probably did not do enough pre-tear down testing after reading all of your posts. I didn't have enough time between home projects.
I have the drills +.0022 (18%) and+.003 (24%) necessary to step things up, but my plan is to rebuild the center carb, inspect the ends and retest.
Based on those ultimate findings, I'll plan my next move if any.

Still might up size the pilots .002 but have not decided. I do know the cam is bigger, and that by is self should require some fuel curve changes not including the effects of alcohol in our pump fuel.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When the fuel was switched to ethonal laced stuff I had two go up 2 jet sizes in my Holley to get rid of a stumble.It worked for some of my friends as well.You could be on to something.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Went through all 3, installed rebuild kits. adjusted all required settings to spec. Set the auto choke as it was not set previously. I upped the idle fuel jet from .027-.0292 (#69 drill).
The cause as I see it was a loose throttle plate in the front carb, as well as it was poorly sealing at idle + the disconnected vacuum advance. With those fixed. After going through the carbs I was idling well and stable, much better than before and the throttle response off idle is better. The vacuum advance picked up 2-3 in/hg.
My test gauge and the gauge set in the car disagree so here are a couple of frames from videos I took.
Thanks for all of the help and good advice.
IMG_4816_Moment.jpgIMG_4818_Moment.jpg