Tri-State Raceway August 17 & 18, 2013

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Joel, you can get setup with a great stick combo that is easier to shift than a t10 or muncie. The question we need answered though is what is the power level, how much street driving do you intend on, and what is your budget?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
450 horse and street driving. What is the budget to stay 4 speed? A jerico with road race sliders and a H pattern will be easy on the street and missed gears will be a thing of the past.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Joel,I cant tell you the in's and outs of installing a 400 in an x frame car,but i'm sure there are people here that can.At about 450 hp,on a stock stroked 409,I'd suggest a convertor with a stall speed of around 3000 rpm for street/strip use,if it's a stroker,about 25oo should do you fine.Set the floor shifter up in the place where the original shifter comes thru the floor,have the transmission governor up to full-throttle shifts at 6000 rpm,put it in drive and GO!Yes,I'd definately keep all the original pieces for later re-installation.Another option would be to use a "switch-pitch convertor type 400 which will allow you to cruise around with a tighter 1500 stall,then when at the track,flip the switch and have a 300-3500 convertor for fun.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Joel,I cant tell you the in's and outs of installing a 400 in an x frame car,but i'm sure there are people here that can.At about 450 hp,on a stock stroked 409,I'd suggest a convertor with a stall speed of around 3000 rpm for street/strip use,if it's a stroker,about 25oo should do you fine.Set the floor shifter up in the place where the original shifter comes thru the floor,have the transmission governor up to full-throttle shifts at 6000 rpm,put it in drive and GO!Yes,I'd definately keep all the original pieces for later re-installation.Another option would be to use a "switch-pitch convertor type 400 which will allow you to cruise around with a tighter 1500 stall,then when at the track,flip the switch and have a 300-3500 convertor for fun.

Don......................is there anything you don't know???????? You keep me constantly amazed with your knowledge!!!!:clap:clap

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Phill,every day I seem to find how much I dont know,but I keep trying!:bang When you bracket race street driven cars for about 30 years like I have,you learn a couple of things.Thanks for the compliment![now for the other shoe to drop]:hide

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the info. I am on a limited budget. Spent most of my money on the engine rebuild & still don't have the car together. A jerico sound nice but I think they are out of my price. Also I have heard that they don't fit in the car without redoing the floor & the shifter sits back further. That won't work for me since I have a bench seat car and have to have the seat all the way forward. Also don't know how long I am going to continue drag racing. I only go to the shootouts & a few times around SLC if I can find anything close. Plan to drive the car on the street once I am finished with my fling at drag racing. So I want to do something that I can change back or use on the street. thanks again.

Joel

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah the Jerico is about 2k for a used one. As far as the shifter, I am also vertically challenged and drive with the bench all the way forward. Shifter clears fine, but the tunnel does need to be opened up to allow room for the straight linkage. I would recommend a Doug Nash, but the linkage needs some extra room with those also.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi Joel , I had the driver's bucket seat altered to fit the Hurst shifter for my super T-10 4 speed. Turned out well and was not that expensive.:D This picture is with the TH350 trans.

:crazy:dance:cheers

Attachments

• PictureKodak easy share photos 958.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 958.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 5
Charlie K will tell you the same as me. Both of us ran 4 speedd in the ole days, but got tired of breaking. You can make a 4-gear work, but lots of $$$ for clutch & trans....think $3k+, I suspect. Of course I'm talking about quite a bit of drag racing. Auto just so much more forgiving. 400 is stronger, but 350 will work, but still needs some good parts...ie:hardened sprag. If you're planning on 3:70 or 4:11 rear, w/ about 450 hp, I'd go w/ a TQ in the 2400 stall range. Short tires(slicks) will get you in low 12 second range, I'd guess & you could use tall street tires & still be pretty road worthy Now if your nickname is 409 Charlie & you're gonna try pro stock if they loosen the rules, you're gonna need to beef it up with good RR w/ spool & lots of other changes. Dennis E (4094evr)

Charlie K will tell you the same as me. Both of us ran 4 speedd in the ole days, but got tired of breaking. You can make a 4-gear work, but lots of $$$ for clutch & trans....think $3k+, I suspect. Of course I'm talking about quite a bit of drag racing. Auto just so much more forgiving. 400 is stronger, but 350 will work, but still needs some good parts...ie:hardened sprag. If you're planning on 3:70 or 4:11 rear, w/ about 450 hp, I'd go w/ a TQ in the 2400 stall range. Short tires(slicks) will get you in low 12 second range, I'd guess & you could use tall street tires & still be pretty road worthy Now if your nickname is 409 Charlie & you're gonna try pro stock if they loosen the rules, you're gonna need to beef it up with good RR w/ spool & lots of other changes. Dennis E (4094evr)

BTW, have to wait & see about Earlville...I'm running Nostalgia SS w/ Charlie & the boys this year, & that's the week B4 Series.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the good info. Still undecided but might stay with a 4 speed because of the budget. Bob Walla has one that he used & had it rebuilt. Said he never had any problems with it so that is good enough for me. Also since I will not be doing a lot of racing it should last, hopefully it will hold up & I won't destroy it.

Dave: Just noticed the dates on the shootout. How come so late this year? I usually attend yours & the West Coast (Aug 24& 25 this year). These dates will almost make it impossible for me to attend both:dunno. I realize that this most likely won't affect anyone else, is there any chance of it being changed back to the first weekend in August as in the past?:pray Thanks.

Joel

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Joel

I can't be there the first week in August as in the past. Maybe if my charming personality was not present there would be a better turnout? We can get the date changed. FYI, Reid the track owner has been in the hospital a couple of times in the last month. Hope he comes out of that ok...

Glad to hear Bob is helping you out with a tranny.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks for all the good info. Still undecided but might stay with a 4 speed because of the budget. Bob Walla has one that he used & had it rebuilt. Said he never had any problems with it so that is good enough for me. Also since I will not be doing a lot of racing it should last, hopefully it will hold up & I won't destroy it.

Dave: Just noticed the dates on the shootout. How come so late this year? I usually attend yours & the West Coast (Aug 24& 25 this year). These dates will almost make it impossible for me to attend both:dunno. I realize that this most likely won't affect anyone else, is there any chance of it being changed back to the first weekend in August as in the past?:pray Thanks.

Joel

700R4 built by BBRT.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Dave: Don't change it just for me. You need to be there. Go with whatever will be best for the group. Hope Reid is ok. Take care.

Joel

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Might not have enough interest for a quorum anyhow.

There are a bunch of these cars in the Chicagoland area. Have to find a way to reach out to them because they obviously aren't on here. Hopefully Walla can make it and maybe Weslowski's Raggamuffin car too. It was a easy drive from Chicago. Maybe I can print some generic flyer and hand them out at the races. I get something like a thousand free pages to print at school LOL.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Joel , I had the driver's bucket seat altered to fit the Hurst shifter for my super T-10 4 speed. Turned out well and was not that expensive.:D This picture is with the TH350 trans.

peeing-man.gif
AUTOMATICS

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Just so you know,Brian & Phil , I'm going on 70 years old and my reflexes are not were what they used to be:cry ,back in the day I could shift a 4-speed with the best of em ( NOT !) My '57 has a TH 350 trans by choice.:D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I know what you guys mean about those reflexes! In my case I have two new knees to contend with (had bilateral knee replacement last year) and I have to admit, driving the four speed is somewhat of a challenge from my left knee's perspective :).

I am fortunate to have one of each, and the 409 Belair with the TH350 vehicle even has power steering. I was driving that one nearly every day about 6 months after the surgery. I guess the true litmus test is when I install a tilt wheel?

Cheers!
TomK

P.S. I still prefer the four speed cars!