trim/cowl tag questions

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
I was not high bidder, if you look at bids there was either shill bidding or some one screwed the guy around as the car did not sell. worked out a cash deal with owner and will pick up car this week if car is real deal and as described.
Charlie,,,

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The serial number on the car proves that it was originally a V-8 Impala Hardtop
The serial tells us: (3) 1963 (1847 ) Sport Coupe 2 door - V-8
(S) built at the St Louis Missouri GM plant 254551 -starting at 100,000 this is the 154,551 first car out of that GM plant

The serial number tag looks to be original

The black SS interior in the 63 in the link is out of a black 1964 Impala SS -the door panels are 64 SS as are the seats.
All 63 SS interiors had buttons in the seats and a different material pattern. The 63 SS door panels have different chrome.
See my pictures above of the factory black 63 SS interior

The factory dash tach in the car is a 5200 RPM redline(correct for a 327/300 HP ) _ I can see the redline in the picture
Under the hood I see double hump heads, after market fan blade, its missing the factory fan shroud, it has 2 speed wipers.
It has a aftermarket intake and carb. Power brake unit looks factory. The master cylinder is a replacement type vs the original screw to master cylinder (most cars have this type of master cylinder).

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the correct 63 Impala SS door panel and and 63 SS back seat.
Nothing wrong with a 64 SS interior if you are OK with it being the wrong year
DSCN0099.JPG DSCN0100.JPG

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi All,

With not wanting to upset him Charlie,
and with Don's and Paul's details above
would one photo of the Z Bar attached to the frame not tell if it was a factory manual car?
not necessarily a 4 speed.
If not spot welded to the chassis rail it has either been added or broken at some time and been replaced
But then we have the issue if this chassis is original to the car?
Interior is a worry if you are looking for a 63SS

Just pondering

Steve

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
I assume the 63 and 64 seat frames are the same and I could get the correct seat covers and door panels from one of the venders down the road. I prefer the 63 interior over the 64 but would be ok with it as is for awhile as its in nice shape. I am more concerned with why it has a 64 interior in it. no money will change hands until I get a pic of trim tag to see whats up.
thanks again guys for pointing out the discrepancys

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Phil knows :think
I helped at least 3 guys find & review to help them purchase 3 - 62 & 63 Impala Hardtops for (one from this forum)
I enjoy doing the reviews & comments.
I did get expenses on 2 of them since I went to look at the cars - a 62 SS 327/4 spd in eastern Iowa and a 62 SS 409 in western Illinois at two different times - both when we went on trips to Michigan to see the grandkids.

The bucket seats have to fold at a angle to be the correct 62-64 SS seats. Also the original metal top rails should be used on new door panels (they fit the doors/1/4's better ). 2 door hardtop door and interior 1/4 panel metal top rails can be found if you wanted to sell off the 64 SS interior door panels.
The bucket seats in factory SS cars, will be bolted to the floor brackets with studs on them (the original SS brackets were welded to the floor).
62 to 64 SS impala back seats are the same.

The carpet is supposed to be around the seat brackets not under the bucket seat brackets.
It appears that someone switched the entire interior out of a 64 SS.

Steve is right the Z bar on the frame could be for a factory 3 speed car. The steering column should be how you tell if it was a factory 4 speed car along with the other factory 4 speed items I noted.

The power steering pump, PS pulley, and power steering hoses look to be factory original parts.

Picture of a 1962 factory 4 speed hole cut for the 4 speed and factory bucket seat brackets welded to the floor pan. The extra brace that runs into the back seat floor pan is for 62's only.
P1040571_tn.jpg
Paul

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
paul, thanks for all the info. this should be all I need if the cowl tag comes back with bucket seat interior and polymer red code I will go check it out. will still post info off tag when I get it.
roger,,,

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just curious,,,, you had a black 63 impala you advertised here and sold it. Did you want a ss instead of the impala?????:scratch

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I had a friend in high school that had an Impala SS that was that color[or some kind of maroon].250 horse 327,'glide and air.For his graduation he got a new 66 Nova SS,275/327,4 speed,also maroon.

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
I sold the black 63 impala, was a 283 powerglide sport coupe. did not feel like finding buckets and adding 4 speed setup plus changing out steering column ect, ect,figured it would be better to find a 4 speed ss with a v8, then install my extra 409 motor in it.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Steering column for 63 SS with PG is same as 4 speed as shifter was mounted the same. Main difference would be lack of clutch Zbar on frame and clutch pedal.

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
tag info, 5b style 63-1847 trim 812 paint 922 acc f-g looks like just 2 rivets holding it on both are on lower corners.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
5b - built the 2nd week of May 1963
63-1847 - 1963 - sport coupe 2 door
Trim 812 - black bucket seat interior
Paint 922 - Ember Red
the stock location of the two factory rivets is the two lower corners of the cowl tag
Paul

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
I am passing on car but want to thank you guys for all the help! owner said he repaired pass lower qrter about a 2 ft section and he says rockers need some work. i was looking for the darker/ maroon color on the tag. ember red is not a bad color but it makes no sense to repair metal on car and paint it incorrect color. add the interior chang over and i might as well keep looking. car could most likely be picked up at $9000- $9200
thanks roger,,,