tripower rear carb vacuum leak

jeff hall

Well Known Member
At idle I can feel a slight vacuum if I hold my hand over the rear carb. Pulled it apart and could see light around the butterflies. When I loosen the screws and reset them so no light comes through they are slightly stuck and after opening them I can see a little light when closed. It idles O.K. so is this something I need to worry about ? I installed a new shaft (operator error on the old one) but used the old butterflies, new butterflies? could I gently polish the barrel?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
They should seal as well as possible but if it functions OK, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
For what it's worth, GM coated the original butterflies with a substance to help them seal.
I have a TSB somewhere that describes the process.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
At idle I can feel a slight vacuum if I hold my hand over the rear carb. Pulled it apart and could see light around the butterflies. When I loosen the screws and reset them so no light comes through they are slightly stuck and after opening them I can see a little light when closed. It idles O.K. so is this something I need to worry about ? I installed a new shaft (operator error on the old one) but used the old butterflies, new butterflies? could I gently polish the barrel?

Without looking back at any of your old posts, are the end carbs original three two carbs?

BB1960

Well Known Member
I'd assume you are running the thicker throttle blades (it not original 2gc non-tripower blades), if not, I'd start there. These can be lapped to the bore also, if you get some valve grinding paste, you can mount it in a vise and put a throttle return spring on the throttle shaft and snap it shut enough times to lap it all in correctly. I did this and afterwards it was water tight (ie I could pour water on top of the blades and it wouldn't run through).

But first steps first, if you aren't running the thicker blades you will struggle to fix the problem.

BB1960

Well Known Member
They should seal as well as possible but if it functions OK, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
For what it's worth, GM coated the original butterflies with a substance to help them seal.
I have a TSB somewhere that describes the process.

I'm pretty sure the release you are talking about was to rectify issues from a warranty perspective, kind of like a band aid. I remember reading it somewhere when I was at the same point that jeff is at now.....

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Yup thick blades, the carbs are correct still have the tags on them. Got some lap compound coming in the morning, that looks the best method for me. Thanks again for the help. You all know the thrill when you finally fire it up for the first time and it sounds like it wants to eat you.:dance

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Well I tried lapping them with lapping compound and can' believe the great results I got. Had to readjust center carb. Idles great! thanks again!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I tried lapping them with lapping compound and can' believe the great results I got. Had to readjust center carb. Idles great! thanks again!
Jeff,
Can you explain the process you used to lap in the throttle blades?

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Actually followed BB160's suggestion. Took the base off and clamped in a vise. Used water based lapping compound and a little paste brush I kept compound on the edge of the blades and the barrel. Used hand pressure and flipped the blades open and closed applying good pressure when closed. It took three sessions before I was happy but really went fast.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Actually followed BB160's suggestion. Took the base off and clamped in a vise. Used water based lapping compound and a little paste brush I kept compound on the edge of the blades and the barrel. Used hand pressure and flipped the blades open and closed applying good pressure when closed. It took three sessions before I was happy but really went fast.
Thanks for outlining that process. I have the end carbs to do for my Buick and will give this a try.