Trump on hot seat????

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Opinion: GLM409, You need to get rid of that fossil fuel powered car before it destroys our planet !!!! :tonguePractice what your preaching !! :cool:

Me driving an old car or my track car on the weekends has little impact, but my daily driver gets 40+ miles per gallon and will soon be driving an electric car for every day driving when it is too cold to ride my bike. I've significantly cut down on my electric and natural gas usage based on updates to my lighting, heating upgrades, insulation upgrades, windows, ..., so I am practicing what I am preaching. As soon as I can afford some more solar upgrades I will do so. Luckily, I have my experience working on cars, the farm, and my education, so I can do the installation myself allowing me to adopt new technologies earlier than others. So, based on my calculations, I've reduced my annual contribution to greenhouse gasses by over 60% in the last 15 years. On the farm, we have to continue to figure out how to save money to be profitable and we use technology to help us reduce the amount of diesel and natural gas we use every year and one positive note on climate change. Since the season is longer we can leave our products in the field longer to minimize the amount of fuel used for drying. Most of the fossil fuel used in farming is for drying corn and until this year, beans were a great money maker for us, but thanks to Trump and the China trade embargo we are going to lose money on beans this year and not sure what we'll do next year.

GLM409

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is nothing wrong with this, the problem is being able to afford it

Agreed. When LED bulbs were $20 each I replaced a few that were used most often and now they are a buck a bulb I replaced everyone in my house. I wasn't going to spend $100k on an electric car for a daily driver, but once they come down to the $30k point and they can go 300 miles on a charge I'm all in. Advances in technology and resulting drops in price will continue to lead to some pretty dramatic changes. My 55" LED tv uses less than half the energy than my old tube TV did and it cost less than I spent on the tube TV.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If I were to buy a new car tomorrow for all around use,I'd be looking at a Chevy Volt. 90 percent of my driving would be on electric power,my trips would be on gasoline.I'm not aware of ANY charging station between here and DC,and even if there is,I'm not going to waste 2-3 hours on a charging station as that would add at least 6 hours to what's already a 15 hour trip.

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I were to buy a new car tomorrow for all around use,I'd be looking at a Chevy Volt. 90 percent of my driving would be on electric power,my trips would be on gasoline.I'm not aware of ANY charging station between here and DC,and even if there is,I'm not going to waste 2-3 hours on a charging station as that would add at least 6 hours to what's already a 15 hour trip.

That's where new technology is helping along. Newer charging stations can get batteries to an 80% charge in 40 minutes now. I expect they will continue to make improvements and continue to reduce charging time. I want to be able to get from my home in Wisconsin to the farm in Iowa (365 miles) with one stop and there are multiple charging stations along the way. If I plan it over a meal I can eat and get the car charged at the same time.

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
These hydrogen vehicles are pretty cool.
They are. I used to be a big follower of the fuel cell technology and had hoped to put one in my house, but I stopped spending much time reading about them. There is a huge hydrogen network in Scandinavia with hydrogen filling stations readily available, which I believe might use solar energy to generate the hydrogen. It is very cool technology and has been in use for a long time. I am confident many of us will have fuel cells in our house to generate electricity and heat once hydrogen generation is safe and cheap. The battery technology is getting there, now just a matter of time before hydrogen generation technology catches up.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If you have a spare 40 minutes watch this episode, puts a new slant on how the Left have abused the climate hysteria,

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will watch it and am very familiar with Dr. Michaels, whose research and books are funded by the Fossil Fuel Industry. I'll post my comments once I've completed watching. It might take me a few days to watch, but will be back.

Junkman 104

Well Seasoned Member
ae2fcc20d907282895c3259fc9148912f569444a4087963d2f34558060698c4f.png

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My big bad Panasonic 42" plasma TV consumes a massive 750 watts when its turned on but it does a fine job of heating up the front room in the winter sucks in the summer though.

Mark

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

I leased a Volt for 3 years. My every day driving fits well for a hybrid vehicle. I drive 12-20 miles per day normally. The Volt keeps track of gas consumed, I used 45 gallons in my 3 years of ownership and drove 28000 miles.
The battery power gets you about 30-40 miles per charge so most weekdays I never used gas. The 10 gal gas tank will give you another 300 mile range.
If you drive a lot of miles per day it(Volt) won't be such a great deal for you.

floyd

Well Known Member
The weather is in cycles,even in years about 10 to 20.The earths axis rotates to the left to the right.I believe earth quakes cause the weather to change,by moving the earth of its axis.1 year major or multipul hurricanes,tornadoes,snow storms,forest fires.Next year,mild weather.This frack drilling has caused cave ins.Cant tell me it cant move the earth off its axis.Volcano eruptions cause weather issues.All of these are not climate change,its living on earth.When someone has bad weather,I always say someone sinned.

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Last edited: