Trying to get back to work

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi guys been a while, I had a nasty industrial accident at work on Dec. 28th, broke my back, @ L1, L3 and L5.... Ruptured T8,9.10 and broke my left arm, cracked my hip.... So its been flat on my back bed rest and cast's and Turtle shells and all that shit....man did this suck a lot.

So getting up and around now and hoping to finalize the car so I can drive it soon, it was just about done, some wiring etc, gauges, put the seats back in, adjust the clutch a little better, just your everyday adjustments after a complete build. Any how.... I am alive, that's the good part.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep, never been in the hospital once in my life (lucky), spent a week in the trauma unit, was 12' up in the air working on a boiler piping system, pipe burst/leaked glycol(snoty antifreeze) straight down the ladder hit the base of the ladder, it was a smooth finish concrete floor and it turned into a ice skate and it came out from underneath me, just a true accident, but man did it do damage. Not whining or crying about it now, it's done BUT if you think you're invincible.... I found out I wasnt for sure. It was a work comp type coverage, their doctor assigned to me is trying to rush me back to work, and I do not have a choice, he says what my outcome is, so they already have me back at work sitting at a desk doing paperwork, as soon as he releases me I am going to hire my own doctor for a second opinion, I am sure I am going to make a full recovery, but all in good time. I am glad I saved my power glide, I may have to revert back to an automatic.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wow, that sucks. Yah, don't let them push you to hard. You know your body best. I had an on the job injury when I worked at Maytag and they tried to push me back to work because I was a big strong young man running track and field professionally. To this day I still feel the effects of that shoulder injury. I finally told their Dr. that my lawyer would be in touch and they backed off and let me heal at my own pace. They don't have to live with your body for the rest of your life, you do. I would already have another Dr. if they pushed me. Its just not worth the long term effects.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Really sorry to hear. Stuff like this can happen and when it does, it’s fast. Good to hear you’re getting back to some semblance of normal. Know your rights and when your employer “is looking out for you“ - they usually aren’t. Sounds like you’re keeping your attitude right. Don’t know where you are in Iowa, I’m outside of Waterloo, if close enough and I can do something for you, let me know.

Fuzz

MAGA

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They do come across as really caring, they are accommodating to a point, but make no mistake about it, they have circled the wagons so to speak.

When I mentioned to HR about a possible second opinion on the issues, they are squawking loudly and thought it would be a bad idea to have two docs treating the same issues, I agree I am making remarkable progress but, I think its moving to fast and not giving enough healing time, but I don't want to turn this post and update into a bitch fest, I do have an attorney and I just hope he gets them to allow a second opinion, that is my goal right now, just some level of confirmation from a unbiased source. Obviously they want to sign off and be done, I want repair and back to good health and be able to do things on my own without waiting for someone to have time to help me, I have always done things for myself and that is how I feel most comfortable. Mostly I am just glad it was not worse, I was very lucky, so I do not want to come off as ungrateful, so trying to keep it positive.

They have a third party group that oversees all this so that group gets to be the bad guy and they want to be the good guy, but it does not take much imagination to know whos writing their checks for the 3rd party services.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you Rsavage, I think so too, for a 58 year old man, I am doing amazing I think too as far as recovery goes, I am amazed but I do not mind telling you, this stuff is not as easy on the body as when I was in my 20-30's lol.

I am not a person who has not had their share of bumps/bruises etc, I have had them, 10 years ago I hit the concrete doing 134 MPH on my drag bike, so, that was a slow healing too, but I done that on my own time and took the time I needed to recover, I just think when it comes to a work related injury they really push you fast.

I think I just need to get my car done and admire things from a distance now days and start acting like I am not 20 anymore lol

Junky

Well Known Member
Yep, never been in the hospital once in my life (lucky), spent a week in the trauma unit, was 12' up in the air working on a boiler piping system, pipe burst/leaked glycol(snoty antifreeze) straight down the ladder hit the base of the ladder, it was a smooth finish concrete floor and it turned into a ice skate and it came out from underneath me, just a true accident, but man did it do damage. Not whining or crying about it now, it's done BUT if you think you're invincible.... I found out I wasnt for sure. It was a work comp type coverage, their doctor assigned to me is trying to rush me back to work, and I do not have a choice, he says what my outcome is, so they already have me back at work sitting at a desk doing paperwork, as soon as he releases me I am going to hire my own doctor for a second opinion, I am sure I am going to make a full recovery, but all in good time. I am glad I saved my power glide, I may have to revert back to an automatic.

They might not like it, however, you have all the rights in the world to contact another docter for a second opinion. You will have to pay that doctor out of your pocket, but can recoupe the expense when the settlement comes. I had a workmans comp injury that put me in the hospital for 3 months, and I told the insurance company that I was getting my own doctor on the case, and that they were going to pay for it. This was in Mass, and I can't say that the laws are the same in Iowa, however, I do know that they cannot prevent you from seeking a second opinion outside of their system. I didn't go to an attorney for my injury claim, because I fully recovered from the injury, and there were no life long effects, unlike yours. Also, don't let your attorney sell you out by pushing you to take their first or second offer. Attorneys work on a percentage, and using easy figures, assuming that the attorney is going to take a third of the claim, and they offer $100,000. He get $33,000, and you get the balance of $67,000. If you don't accept, then he goes back to them and they will sweeten the pot, and give you another $10,000. He gets another $3,000, and you get another $7,000. Most attorneys, are only interested in getting the bulk of the money ($30,000) and move onto the next case. He will have to work a lot harder to get more money each time they bump the amount up a little, and they don't want to do the extra work. Many times, if you have a good case like yours, and you have a good attorney that cares about the client, they will file suite with the court, and then settle the case right before it goes to trial. Yes, this is a lot of work for him/her, but in the end, you will get a settlement that is far greater than that which was originally offered. The last thing that the insurance company wants is for it to go before a jury, because they know that jury's many times will award outlandish rewards, because they want to be generous with the plaintiffs.
One other thing that also comes to mind, is that even though the attorney gets 1/3 of the settlement, they often put into the contract that you are responsible for all court and filing costs, which means that in the end, you might only wind up with 40 or 50 percent of the settlement, because the attorney charges for preparing the paperwork that needs to be filed. Had you not gone to an attorney right away, you could have negotiated a lot of these expenses be shared by the attorney. Knowing a lot about how they work before you sign is the key to keeping the better part of the settlement in your pocket, not theirs.
Also, if you get tired doing your office work, then tell the supervisor that you are not going to be pushing yourself to the point of pain, and that you need shorter hours. You can bet your bottom dollar, that they have a Private Eye watching you and photographing everything that you do from the time you get up, till the time you go to bed. They will be documenting your every activity, whether it is going shopping, or driving.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Junky, thats damn good information.

I have a friend who is personal injury attorney, and thought I should use him as my attorney. I contacted him immediately because, well first of all I have never been through this type of thing before and I know ignorance is not an excuse but, I was and am clueless about this type of stuff. BUT what prompted me is on day two I am laying in the ICU for Spine damage and I got a call from work comp lawyer asking me to make a statement as to what happened/the event/details.

I was on a crap load of narcotics/meds and talking about very wierd stuff that made no sense, to me or my wife, I was clearly delusional and heavily medicated. My wife had enough sense to grab the phone (he called my room) and promptly have his ass for such a tasteless attempt at trying to obtain a statement.

Needless to say, we/I felt like if they would stoop to that level, who knows what else they would do, we felt like we needed protection.
My attorney friend called their office and needless to say, he never called back. BUT at the same time my employer would no longer talk to me because I had representation. That being said, my attorney friend clearly is treating this as any other case, he wants the standard 30 % naturally but I do not know about the other great information you mentioned fees/filing etc. I will need to look at that very closely, thank you.

You guys have been great and very helpful with information, but I do not want to upset the site by talking about all this instead of cars, sorry BOB this has gotten so long, about this and not Cars.

wristpin

Well Known Member
IOWA409 you made one statement that i disagree with...its not just about cars....its about connecting with new friends with a common interest which is cars. I'll just chalk that up to your heavily medicated condition. Get better and please keep us informed.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Wow, that was quite a fall. Lucky you are not paralyzed....Had a bike wreck in 2000. Fractured L1, L2, two places in L3, C1 and C2. Couldn't take 2 steps without back brace on. Wore the back brace for 10 months and the neck brace for a year. Slept in hospital bed for most of a year cuz bed at home killed me. Had to set on a pillow for around 10 months too. Tail bone was bruised.

I was self employed and went back to work part time in about 8 weeks. I would highly recommend that you get a hot tub. After using my brother in laws I bought one and used it 3 times a day for a few months and then twice a day for quite a while, then once a day for a long time. It was a life saver. Much better that a heating pad or anything else I tried. Try one somewhere if you get a chance...it's a great relief, worth every penny.

Good luck and make sure you're compensated well because I can tell you things don't get better with age. I'm back to doing traction on my neck again this winter.

Last edited:

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wow, that was quite a fall. Lucky you are not paralyzed....Had a bike wreck in 2000. Fractured L1, L2, two places in L3, C1 and C2. Couldn't take 2 steps without back brace on. Wore the back brace for 10 months and the neck brace for a year. Slept in hospital bed for most of a year cuz bed at home killed me. Had to set on a pillow for around 10 months too. Tail bone was bruised.

I was self employed and went back to work part time in about 8 weeks. I would highly recommend that you get a hot tub. After using my brother in laws I bought one and used it 3 times a day for a few months and then twice a day for quite a while, then once a day for a long time. It was a life saver. Much better that a heating pad or anything else I tried. Try one somewhere if you get a chance...it's a great relief, worth every penny.

Good luck and make sure you're compensated well because I can tell you things don't get better with age. I'm back to doing traction on my neck again this winter.

Actually I own a hot tub, I always drain it in the winter and use RV antifreeze to store it for the winter, because I am to cheap to run the heaters all winter, lol........... quite honestly that would feel really good, think I will work on getting it fired up, thank you.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Actually I own a hot tub, I always drain it in the winter and use RV antifreeze to store it for the winter, because I am to cheap to run the heaters all winter, lol........... quite honestly that would feel really good, think I will work on getting it fired up, thank you.

You'll be glad you did.