Tungsten Carbide tipped hole saws

bobs409

Administrator
61XlkbpwCkL._SL1000_.jpg

I've seen these for a while in different videos but until now I never had one. WOW! I'm sold. I won't bother buying any regular hole saws anymore.

I'm building a 50 ton shop press so I need to drill (36) 1-1/2" holes into C channel. So far, I have half of them done (18 holes) and no signs of this cutter quitting yet. The material in the area I'm drilling is tapered, goes from 1/4" to about 3/8" thick. It drills quickly too.

I'll be buying a set of these soon to add to my arsenal. Even buying individually, they aren't that expensive. The 1-1/2" was only $14.99 on amazon. Sets are even a better deal.

If you've been wanting to try these but weren't sure how good they are, GET THEM! I've been using my mag drill but you can put these in a drill press or even use a hand drill they say.

DSCN5119.JPGDSCN5120.JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Wow looks like a long lasting cutter.Years ago had hole saw about that size to do taurus sable recall to drill in floor boards for access to sub frame bolts . Took forever and did not last long. Of course shop furnished them,so could not gripe to much. Looks like a great tool. Now to figure what i need them for now???? Lol

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
61XlkbpwCkL._SL1000_.jpg

I've seen these for a while in different videos but until now I never had one. WOW! I'm sold. I won't bother buying any regular hole saws anymore.

I'm building a 50 ton shop press so I need to drill (36) 1-1/2" holes into C channel. So far, I have half of them done (18 holes) and no signs of this cutter quitting yet. The material in the area I'm drilling is tapered, goes from 1/4" to about 3/8" thick. It drills quickly too.

I'll be buying a set of these soon to add to my arsenal. Even buying individually, they aren't that expensive. The 1-1/2" was only $14.99 on amazon. Sets are even a better deal.

If you've been wanting to try these but weren't sure how good they are, GET THEM! I've been using my mag drill but you can put these in a drill press or even use a hand drill they say.

View attachment 101077View attachment 101078
Bob I have been using these hole saws for years, I used them as an electrician and around the house. I put them in my drill press and cut holes in 1/4" plate with no issues, welcome to the club. Lol

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here's my 2 cents worth of advise about these hole saws, After the pilot bitt goes through you don't want to jam the cutting teeth into the material you are cutting as it will break off the carbide pieces. Gently get the carbide teeth cutting and the you can lean on the cutter hard enough to have the chips coming out BLUE, if you do this these things will last an incredible amount of time. When I was working I never let everyone on the job sites use my hole saws as they would always come back with half the carbide cutting teeth broke off.

bobs409

Administrator
Well I got all 36 holes done and that saw is just as sharp now as when I first got it! I decided I needed a few more sizes in my life so I got this set:

61mciwAYoHL._SL1000_.jpg

Can you believe only $25.99?

Large Size:Include 22mm/30mm/35mm/45mm/50mm/65mm

Wish they came in standard sizes but I'll find a use for these. Hole saws aren't really "machinist" accurate anyway. I can always choose a size under what I need and use my boring head to take it to size. They have smaller sets but I already have those sizes in annular cutters so I will just use those. I think the mag drill is how I'll use these most times. Not sure how these would be in a hand drill. :scared The milling machine is another option as well as a drill press.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well i just ordered a 2 1/2 inch cutter . My cutters wouldn't even cut 18 guage sheet metal,just burned stalled my drill press. Junk ,they are in my metal throw away bucket. They are available in standard size, what i wanted.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well I got all 36 holes done and that saw is just as sharp now as when I first got it! I decided I needed a few more sizes in my life so I got this set:

61mciwAYoHL._SL1000_.jpg

Can you believe only $25.99?

Large Size:Include 22mm/30mm/35mm/45mm/50mm/65mm

Wish they came in standard sizes but I'll find a use for these. Hole saws aren't really "machinist" accurate anyway. I can always choose a size under what I need and use my boring head to take it to size. They have smaller sets but I already have those sizes in annular cutters so I will just use those. I think the mag drill is how I'll use these most times. Not sure how these would be in a hand drill. :scared The milling machine is another option as well as a drill press.
I went and looked at these. Then it tells me there are other sets with even more bits. Can't have too many!

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Ha Ha, this is funny, When I worked at Hyundai the clown techs had a recall that you had to drill a good size hole in the frame , clean it out and add rust preventative. Those dumb azz guys ran those carbide tip hole saws at like 10,000 RPM and boy did they fail fast and those guys bitched about it all day long. The manager bought them a plasma cutter to cut holes after that didn't work. I don't need to tell you guys how that went. :lmao

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have ( i think) the drill press on lowest speed. I will for sure check belt to pullys before cutting. Suppose to be here monday we will see.
Not sure about your drill press but most home drill presses run way to fast. If they cut all the speeds in 1/2 they would be much better. Especially with that carbide tipped hole saw, RIGIDITY is key. If it tries to grab , chatter or buck the carbide teeth suffer.
Treat them like ribs or a good roast, Low & Slow! Carbide tooling in a CNC machine with a rigid setup is where you can fly. Based on a 2.5" saw with a less than ideal setup, 250-500 rpm would be suitable, preferably the low side.
Jeff

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well the cutter i had was pretty well Junk ,just a plain metal tooth white in color. The teeth were ground down. I put enough pressure downward it would stop the motor and more or less just scratching the metal. The new cutter supposed to be here monday. I will check the pullys for the low speed.I don't have trouble with drill bits so we'll see.

Last edited: