turning down 454 crank

plan to build a 4 inch stroke 348.I know that the mains need to turned to fit the 348 size but I see that most turn the crank snout to accept the 400balancer.why can't I use the 454 balancer???If I am not mistaken the 454 is externally balanced just like the 400.just wondering
eric:cheers

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Timing Chain cover problem

Eric,

The problem with NOT turning down the snout on the 454 crank is that you will have to modify the 348 timing chain cover to accomidate the 454 HB. The machanic that was doing my 4" stroked 348 (using the 454 crank) was just going to graft the two together (the timing cover for the 348 and a BBC cover). I didn't exactly want to go that route so I INSISTED that the snout get turned down, so that the 348's timing cover can be used with a 7" HB. Another problem that may come up is that the BBC harmonic balancer will probably push the lower pulley a bit too far forward and the water pump will need to have spacers installed, so that the upper pulley will align properly. After all that was said and done, I'm certainly glad I went with the decision to have the snout turned down instead. Ask plenty of questions at the machine shop on all that will need to be done, should you decide to stick with the 454 HB at the end of that 454 crank. Just my 2 cents.

Mike~

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Timing sets also

BBC snout would require a BBC bottom gear for the timing chain. Lemar Walden sells the cover and timing set for the BBC snout.

thanks guys.that answers all my questions.should have fiqured out the obvious reasons myself.must have had a brain fart:takethat.Dave I am considering the eagle crank,just looking at all options and trying to save a few $$$
eric:cheers

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think that the dollars will be about the same by the time you get finished machining a 454 crank. With the Eagle, it's brand new and drops in. No issues with the front cover, timing chain or gears, balancer, flywheel, etc etc. Everything fits. It's a really nice crank, your eyes will light up when you open the box. We've sold several with our stroker kits. You just need to clearance the block a little for the rod bolts to clear. It's an easy do it yourself job with a die grinder.

If you want the extra strenght on the snout you can buy a balancer that has the I.D. of the stock crank but the O.D. of the BBC crank. It supports the crank snout and makes it a lot stronger . You then need a timing cover that takes a BBC seal, which is available. This extra support isn't needed unless you're going to run a blower and the parts are a little expensive.

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think that the dollars will be about the same by the time you get finished machining a 454 crank. With the Eagle, it's brand new and drops in. No issues with the front cover, timing chain or gears, balancer, flywheel, etc etc. Everything fits. It's a really nice crank, your eyes will light up when you open the box. We've sold several with our stroker kits. You just need to clearance the block a little for the rod bolts to clear. It's an easy do it yourself job with a die grinder.

Dave

Dave, Is the eagle 4" crank externally or internally balanced?

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Internally balanced........ you can use the 409 balancer, flywheel etc.

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It definately is the way to go.......... as I said your eyes will light up when you open the box !!

Dave