Twenty years ago this month...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Wow, time really flies when you're having fun, eh?

It was twenty years ago this month I first looked at and then made an offer on my 1963 Corvette.

The first two years I took her down to the original fiberglass then came back with a base/clear paint job and a new Al Knoch interior.

vette04.jpg

I showed her locally for a few years, then turned her into a nice driver:

63 SWC and 62 SS in basement.jpg

So today, for the first time in 2 months, I got in her and put my new left hip on that clutch and took her for a short spin :).

This was the first time I've driven a stick shift since I had my hip replaced 8 weeks ago All is good in my neck of the woods :).

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
To add to the confusion, it was 13 years ago December 5th that I picked up the 1961 Bonneville. I've started and stopped on that project several times now, and it's got me wondering if I'll ever make it a driver :(.

Like a lot of projects, I started with a disassembly of the interior and the stripping of the original paint. I did get it in primer and sealed the floor pans, but that's about it. Oh yeah, there is that stroker 428 engine we built for it. My problem is these darn Pontiacs are expensive to restore and this particular Pontiac isn't al that collectible (it's a long wheel base Bonnie, not a Ventura), although it does have that "sport coupe" roofline that tickles my fancy :). I guess other projects moved to the head of the line over the years...

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Beautiful Corvette Tom. Glad you're feeling better. I also like that '62 in the background, Carmine.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Congrats, Tom - on both the '63 and the recovery from surgery that allowed you to relive the good years!

Keep it up.
John

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks everyone, it's been a year of limping about and putting up with some minor pain, that's all gone now and I have full range of motion :).

Although earlier today I was on the ground changing a tire out and it took me a bit of wrangling about to get my A$$ off the floor. But that's nothing new...

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Tom,
Congrats on the recovery! And yes...time does fly by. I was looking at receipts from my blue 63 from 2012. Hard to believe the journey of THAT car.
Currently looking for a C-2 corvette coupe for my wife that I promised her 4 years ago.

Now that your hip is good as new.............your projects will be finished in no time..............right?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My neighbor passed a few years back and I helped his widow sell off three cars he had collected.

One was a very nice 1965 Corvette coupe, high perf 327 (365 horse) with of all things a PG, but also with PW, A/C and other options.

I recall it sold for $55K.

Cheers! TomK